We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

What is the opinion? Take a 3 or 4 day trip on a boat, or stay at a lodge? Also, would you rather walk the Inca Trail, or take the train to Machu Picchu?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

I can't answer about the Amazon as I did not go there. As far as MP, you'll get opinions both ways as they're both great experiences. The Inca Trail is a 2 or 4 day hike so can be a significant investment of time if you're only in Peru for a short vacation. But if you like hiking and want the experience of entering MP through the sun gate, then go for it. On our trip, we took the train because we only had about two weeks and decided to see some other sites with our time rather than spend it hiking. But you'll get opinions both ways and it's really a personal preference.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
219 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Pat, I believe you have been in touch with us directly ... but I thought I would share our wisdom with the good readers of Trip Advisor, as well!

We actually have quite a long blog on the subject of Amazon Cruise v Lodge, which we would be happy to share with anyone; but in a nutshell, a lodge affords you longer in the jungle, getting accustomed to the rhythms of the unique eco-system ... but also a bit more at the mercy of small critters.

Also, as lodges are fixed structures, the location they are in will largely determine the quality of the wildlife experience. Very generally, the remoter the lodge, the better in terms of the amount and variety of flora and fauna you will see. But for logistical reasons, remoteness also entails more rustic facilities and/or increased price.

Having said that, lodges do usually work out a cheaper option than river cruises. What you are paying for on board an Amazon cruise vessel is the ability to travel to different eco-systems, according to the local conditions at the time, with daily excursions to explore the areas ... and then retire to the comfort of a well-appointed vessel with an attentive, skilled crew.

I hope that is of some help.

As for the Inca Trail, having done it a number of times as a Tour Leader, back in the early 2000s, I would strongly recommend doing it yourself, if at all possible. It's a challenging hike, but the views, camaraderie and sense of achievement upon reaching Machu Picchu are hard to beat, and will linger long in the memory.

I hope that is also of some help.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Yes - Thanks awesome help! I think the only hesitation is that DH suffers from asthma. We live at about sea level, and he is worried that hiking may be too much for him. As an FYI, he is in fairly good health otherwise, and can work circles around others his age (58). He's a farmer and avid outdoorsman.

Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Do you go to the same areas with the Eco lodges as with the river cruises. We were thinking about doing both. Any thoughts we would really appreciate it.

Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Do you go to the same areas with the Eco lodges as with the river cruises. We were thinking about doing both. Any thoughts we would really appreciate it.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

We stayed in the jungle with Amazonia Expeditions. It is up the Tahuayo River, from Iquitos, and the river is small so a cruise boat would never fit up there. It was remote and we saw SO many animals and plants. I haven't taken an Amazon cruise but I personally don't feel that we would have had as good an experience while living on a boat. While staying in the jungle we took plenty of boat rides up the river in a small motorboat or canoe but we took just as many hikes in the jungle. If you go during the rainy season then perhaps a cruise would give you the same experience but in the dry season (July-September) you're better off staying in a lodge and trekking through the forest.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

I preferred the lodge, did 3 days 2 nights and wanted more. There were "hamacas" and it was so relaxing to lay there after the activities and see monkeys, blue butterflies pass by and just plain hear jungle sounds, so unique. I personally would not like to be on a boat most of the time, matter of taste I guess.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

Hello would it be possible to get a link to your blog about this? Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

I stayed at a lodge for 7 days. I never got bored or tired of the surroundings. IMO, the farther down/up the river the more nature you will see, so best to get out of the city. Even with 2-4 days, it's well worth your time.

Boat cruise: this might be luxury, relaxing and wonderful food but you might be spending more time on the boat than experiencing what peru and nature has to offer. Even with their excursions.

Either way, you will not go wrong.... Choose what is comfortable for your lifestyle (I tend to go hardcore, but it's not for everyone)

j~

10. Re: Amazon River Cruise or Stay in Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos
Recent Conversations