We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hepatitis A vaccination

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hepatitis A vaccination

just wondering if I change my mind about the Hepatitis A, how much would it cost to get it in Lima? and where can I get it.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

Why are you waiting? Unless you have some unusual precondition there is no reason for a rational human being not to have it. Hep A is spread via fecal contamination. Anything from eating seafood from contaminated water, food prepared by someone who doesn't wash properly to a couple other ways that are truely disgusting. It is endemic in most of the Third World. Decades back, before the vaccine, the only safeguard was gamma gobulin, an expensive, painful, short term and not particularly successful drug. Effects varied. I got it from bad shrimp in Mexico. Had flu like symptoms for two weeks and no alcohol for 6 months. Friend caught it in Morroco and was lucky enough to make it to Germany where he ended up in hospital for several weeks unable to lift his head off the pillow. Complications went on for years. Politest thing I can say is if you are giving up the chance to have it you are being stupid. Give your body time for the immunities to develop.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,640 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

Lab Roe S/. 160 each (you need 2 dosis)

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

Why wait and have to pay for it in Peru when it's free if you have it in the UK.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

www.lap.com.pe LIM Airport clinic cheap easy

NHS was not giving them away last time I heard about it

www.fitfortravel.co.uk best current info on this...

Hep A no fun getting the jab wise especially if eating street food...

www.mdtravelhealth.com Peru detailed CDC health info...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

…scot.nhs.uk/advice/…hepatitis-a.aspx

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

@ julia687 because my surgery in Temple Fortune, London (which belongs to Barnet PCT and under NHS) decided that they rip off people and they charge for Hepatitis A vaccination £45..... and I rather then pay in Peru to a peruvian doctor than a british GP who is well off in this area anyway....

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

but what really made me angry that another surgery a few streets away in the same area does give it for free. that is why I decided if I have to pay for it I rather pay then a third country doctor than our GPs who are not running the system on equality basis....

8. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 16:55
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

GTBob,

It is non of your business why someone didn't get a shot. Question was: Where and how much it cost in Peru.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 03:05
Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hepatitis A vaccination

GTBob could have been nicer in his reply... but I agree with getting the shot before going to Peru... especially with hep A. Getting the shot does not make you immune right away. It's best to get vaccinations at least 2 weeks prior to going on the trip.

Ben

Get answers to your questions about Lima
Recent Conversations