We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-Phone use in South America

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I-Phone use in South America

What are some of the thoughts using an i-phone in Lima,Rio and Buenas Aires? I want to be able to use some of the travel apps. and translator. My girlfriend is from Peru but this is my first time in South America. I think i can get a plan from Canada.

Thanks for the advise.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,144 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-Phone use in South America

Depending on your phone plan, it could be expensive or not.

Ask your cellular phone provider.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-Phone use in South America

If you have AT&T, just go the store and pay for a short term "travel" plan for data. We did this both going to Berlin last summer and Peru this summer. There are various costs for how much you want to use it, but it saves you getting charged everytime someone calls or emails you. They can tell you how to monitor your use. Also, if hotels or restaurants have wifi, which many do, you can save by using wifi when available.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I-Phone use in South America

There are plenty of hotspots on the cities you´ve mentioned where wireless service is free.

You wont be totally disconnected.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-Phone use in South America

Had my IPhone on Airplane mode the whole time in Peru. Lots of Wi-Fi zones. Download Skype before you go, easy way to call home for very cheap rates.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-Phone use in South America

Try the Viber app instead of Skype. Much better.

6. Re: I-Phone use in South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 10:33