We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru in July

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, WI
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Peru in July

We are traveling to Peru for our 25th anniversary with another couple who is also celebrating their 25th anniversary. We plan to be in Peru for 7 to 10 days at the end of July. We like to hike and prefer time away from the city. What would anyone suggest? We are in good physical shape but don't want to rough it the whole time. Has anyone been on the Inca trail trips with overnights? Any suggestion of a tour group to avoid or recommend? Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru in July

I strongly recommend you go to the Sacred Valley in Cusco and stay in Urubamba.Look at Tripadvisor hotel recommendations.The KR is the best in the area and you will enjoy it very much.

The Inca trail is a 2,4 or 7 day hike. You have to overnight in a camp site.

Try Auqui Tours or Aracari or Ancient Summit tour agencies.

cali
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru in July

My recomendations cuold be that; from Lima by plane to cusco then free, other day you will visit to sacred valley and the next day to inka trail 4 days , when you back from the trail ,spend one night in cusco a, finally you will live to Puno by bus and continuo to arequipa, thats was my program with my travel company when i was in peru last year I recomended this program ,everything was excellent

steven

cali
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru in July

My recomendations cuold be that; from Lima by plane to cusco then free, other day you will visit to sacred valley and the next day to inka trail 4 days , when you back from the trail ,spend one night in cusco a, finally you will live to Puno by bus and continuo to arequipa, thats was my program with my travel company when i was in peru last year I recomended this program ,everything was excellent ; but you have to make your reservation in davance ,july is high season.

steven

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru in July

If you only have 7-10 days for Peru I would skip the Inca Trail Trek unless you really have your heart set on it. It's fantastic but not worth missing out on so much more to see in Peru. It's very time consuming to travel in Peru because of the distances and you waste one whole day resting to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco. Machu Picchu takes 2 days, Sacred Valley sightseeing takes two more days. There are lots of short hikes around the Sacred Valley and at Machu Picchu. If you want to see the Amazon that takes at least 4 days, Colca Canyon takes 2 days, Nazca Lines takes 1 day. See? We did the 4 day trail with SAS Travel and I would highly recommend them, but there are a lot of good tour operators out there. Try to have more time in Peru - it's a wonderful country!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru in July

You will only have time for one major destination, so you should stick to the Cusco area. Due to the time limit you should not do the full Inca Trail hike. Instead, you could do a two-day version of the hike. Hiking in to MP by way of the Inca Trail is the best way, because your first view of the ruins is from above at the Sun Gate - an amazing view. On the two-day tour you get off the train a few miles from the end of the line and start the hike. You get to the Sun Gate at about 3:00, and down to Macchu Pichu just as the crowds have gone (so you have it all to yourselves).

In addition to the two-day MP tour, you could do a quick tour over to the Amazon basin and/or Lake Titicaca.

6. Re: Peru in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 00:17