We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima's "must see"

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lima's "must see"

Hello! my husband and I are going to Peru next week as part of a humanitarian trip. We are spending 4 days in lima before we head to cuzco. We have a travel book but it lists SO many things to do/see while in lima and i was just wondering if you would be willing to recommend some of your favorite things. Our hotel is on Plaza San Martin so I figure we'll spend a day there? I don't want to waste any time, please help!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima's "must see"

The Larco Herrera Museum is my favourite museum.

Enjoyed also a lunch at L'Eau Vive" run by french nuns, very nice

You will be close the the Plaza Mayor and many convents and churches will be at walking distance from your hotel.

You can take the Metropolitano and go to Miraflores and walk to Larcomar

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima's "must see"

The changing of guards at the palace.

The dancing fountain, sorry can't recall the name, not in city centre.

Chinatown. I didn't go there. But at least two fellow travellers swear it was worth a visit.

Others as mentioned above.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima's "must see"

the catacombs,and central market shouldn't be missed-or the museum de la inquisition (not far from central market).

-and you should enjoy the excellent ,cheap,set menus for lunch,etc at the numerous restaurants dotted around the plaza mayor.

enjoy!

Edited: 04 May 2011, 10:38
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima's "must see"

Paseo de Aguas is the name of the dancing fountain....

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima's "must see"

Downtown Lima - Plaza de Armas,Cathedral,San Francisco catacoumbs,old train station of Desamparados,the museum of the Inquisition,Chinatown.

Miraflores-Parque Kennedy,Parque del Amor,Larcomar.Take the Mirabus tour.

San Isidro-El Olivar park

Barranco-Puente de los suspiros area

Callao-La PuntaSan Felipe fort, trip to Palomino Islands

Museums: Larco Herrera,Gold and Arms Museum

Out of Town: Pahacamac and Caral

restaurants : Check tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294316-s501/Lima:Per…

I do not agree with the recommendation of cheap meals. First of all, you can get really sick.

Lima is now considered one of the Capital cities with the best restaurants in the world, and you should take advantage of this.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima's "must see"

i'll pay for a top ceviche,but not for lomo saltado!

-the sopa de camarones,adobo,etc-was good in the cheap restaurants,because i went to the very popular ones-where all the workers frequent.

-excellent food,nutritious, never sick!

Edited: 04 May 2011, 15:51
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima's "must see"

Thank you so much for your input! now i just need to sit down with a map and make an itinerary. :-)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,435 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima's "must see"

Hmm....

Lomo means sirloin, one cannot make a good "lomo Saltado" with a cheap piece of meat.

Same for Cebiche, which is best made with Lenguado or Corvina that sell for at least $10 a pound. So just make your numbers and your own conclusions.

Cheap dishes are tasty, but not the best.

And believe me, if you do get sick, it will be ,probably, the end of your trip.

Why risk it ?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima's "must see"

Never got sick in Lima. Cheap meals included. By cheap I mean 12 to 15 soles and that is middle class by Peruvian standards. I do,however, avoid Chifa which is likely to be made with day old rice and that is a bacteria haven. Also be skeptical of the tourist buffets offered in Urubamba on the bus tours and just about anything in Aguas Calientes. The latter city seems to have some issues with sanitation, I met many peoply who think that they got sick eating there.

A good spot for some fresh inexpensive cebiche is the Plaza Vea market on Arequipa, they have it in the food court buffet at lunch.

If you are eating ceviche it may be a good idea to get Hep A innoculation if you have the time to do so.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 21:10
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lima's "must see"

don't forget to try "tropi burger",and the chicken and chip restaurants also..

-top peruvian !!!