We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude sickness

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Altitude sickness

This is my first night in Lima. In two days i will fly to Cuzco is it necessary to use medicins against altitude sickness. And if so, where can I get them in Lima?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude sickness

Dont worry about it.

the problem starts from 4000 and really effects from 4500.

cusco is just 3000m so its just will make you feel weak for few hours.

drink the COCA TEA - the local tea and you'll feel new and fresh.

Regards

Luxury Hostel Rivendell (Miraflores, Lima, Peru)

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude sickness

cocoa tea and sweets never really did anything for me. take a supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen for the headaches, they work wonders.

we started at lima, worked up way up through pisco, nazca, arequipa, chivay, puno to cusco... we only really had problems from Arequipa to Chivay. Bliding unbearable headaches, like a pain at the base of the bottom of your neck. Woke up several times during the night in pain. It eventually subsided after 5-6 days though once we acclimitised. Not nice though. Go prepared and you will be ok. Drink plenty pf water too

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude sickness

Ok thanks for the reactions. Got enought ibruprofen and paracetamol with me so that will be no problem!!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude sickness

Drink lots of water, rest for a couple of hours, eat light, enjoy your trip!

5. Re: Altitude sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2011, 20:22
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude sickness

It's not "cocoa" tea, but coca tea (actually a herbal tea or infusion, does not contain any tea leaf). It can help but otherwise from OTC meds (like ibuprofen and paracetamol) it would not be wise to buy prescription altitude medications from Lima pharmacies without first seeing a physician. It is advised to do this before coming to Peru so that a physician sees you while reading your medical history.

You should do fine with the advice provided, just do everything slow.

(If you have hiked or stayed in places with an altitude over 3000 meters then you already know what it feels like.)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude sickness

Rivendell gives some inaccurate advice above. Many people do get more significant altitude effects when they rapidly ascend above 3,000 meters (ie nausea, dizziness, even fainting). Response is a very individual matter and can't be predicted. You can reduce risks by spending your first few nights at the lower elevations of the Sacred Valley.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

Edited: 13 September 2011, 18:39
TORONTO
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude sickness

I got Diamox from my family doctor, pertty cheap, for 50 tablets I pay no more than $3 , I took half tablet(250mg) 24hours before departure to Cusco, I can feel nothing , that was my frist time at high attitude city. My friend who didn't take the Diamox, she felt dizzy when she arrive the hostel.

9. Re: Altitude sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 19:16