We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of Two Museums

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of Two Museums

Hello

In planning my trip to Peru, I am devoting three days to Lima. While I definitely will be visiting the Museo Rafael Larco Herrera, I will have time to visit only one of the following two museums: Museo de La Nacion or the National Museum of Anthropology. Which of these two museums do you believe is more worthwhile? I do not speak Spanish but would be more than willing to pay for a guide if needed. Thanks very much!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of Two Museums

perhaps read the reviews at the left hand side....

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of Two Museums

I have never been to the Museo de la Nacion, shame on me probably...but I do not know why, maybe it is the awful building that stops me from going.

But have gone many times to the National Museum of Arqueology and I would recommend it. You can hire a guide on the spot as some of the descriptions are only in Spanish.

Museo Larco is my top favourite in Lima. Great restaurant also.

Lima
Level Contributor
208 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of Two Museums

The Museo de la Nación is closed. Apart from the Museo Larco, definitely visit the Museo Nacional de Antropología. You could even walk from one to the other!

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of Two Museums

Do you mean that the Musep de la Nacion has closed permanently? I have seen very recent reviews (three days ago) of it--but if it is permanenently closed, I will change my itinerary. Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of Two Museums

The Museo de la Nacion is not closed. Here some info from www.andeantravelweb.com

Museo de la Nacion (Peru Highlights - Category: Best Museum - Editors Pick)

Avenida Javier Prado Este 2465, San Borja. Open Tues-Fri 09:00 - 18:00. Sat-Sun 10:00 - 18:00. Entrance fee 9 Soles (about US$3)

From the outside this museum looks like a large, ugly concrete monstrosity situated next to a busy main road.

However, on the inside, Lima's National Museum is well laid out and very informative and is well worth a visit. If you only have time to visit just one museum in Lima then this should be your first choice even if it is located a little bit outside the city centre (take a taxi there, it's much safer than taking a bus).

The numerous exhibits guide visitors through the highlights of the Pre-Conquest cultures (before the Spanish arrived). The exhibits are housed in vast salons spread over 3 floors and are ordered chronologically which is very helpful for getting to grips with the many cultures dispersed across Peru.

A visit to the museum is recommended before you go to see the archaeological sites themselves. Displays are well labelled in both Spanish and English and include scale models of many of the Inca sights around Cusco as well as from the north of Peru such as the tomb of the Senor de Sipan, artefacts from Batan Grande (near Chiclayo), reconstructions of the friezes found at Huaca La Luna and Huaca El Brujo (near Trujillo) and other important sites.

There is also a comprehensive range of traditional costumes from around the country and miniature models depicting life in pre-Conquest times as well as a good collection of ceramics and mummies.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of Two Museums

If you visit first the Museo Larco ( no longer named Larco Herrera) , the archeological museum would be a kind of repeat but of much lesser quality.

I would instead recommend the Gold and arms museum.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of Two Museums

Has the cobtroversy surrounding the authenticity of the gold and other artifacts at the Gold and Arms Museum been resolved? It is an expensive museum to visit and so I would like to feel comfortable with the experience. Thanks.

8. Re: Choice of Two Museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 10:24