We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

I am planning a self walking tour of the city of Lima. I want to walk down the following streets away from the city centre during the afternoon around 3pm or 4pm and I would like to know if there are plenty of people around during this time of the afternoon in this area and it is safe to do so.

From Jr de La Union along Cde De Superunda, along Callao, then back along Ucayali/Jr Ica then back along Huacavelica towards Av Tacna. Hopefully this is clear in other words the block bounded by Cde De Superunda, Av Tacna, Huancavelica and Jr de La Union.

Thanks for the previous help on the taxi ride to San Cristobal hopefully someone with a good knowledge of the city may also be able to provide some advice in regards to this post.

Sue

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

I can't think off my head about those streets, but Jiron de la union is a typical town strolling street with police everywhere. With moneychangers waving thick wads of cash in their hands on the corners, do you think you have reason to feel unsafe?

Just use simple common sense, keep your money on an inside belt, have camera in a pocket, etc, etc.

Certainly DON'T be going to suburbs like 'Callao' or 'Rimac', etc, unless you have read/spoken to others first because these areas can be quite risky in parts. Even that said, there are some quite ok areas you can do alone- where there are lots of people doing their daily stuff.

Trust me, it's not as bad as the nay sayers are making it out to be. If you don't have much worth stealing why shoud you be overly concerned anyhow?

Don't forget that Peru has quite a few well off Peruvians and they live there too. Just use common sense and you should be fine.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 10:31
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Its perfectly safe to walk on the mentioned streets at the time you plan to do it. You will find plenty people walking these streets, including many tourists, as said above, just be sensible and do not wear fancy clothing or jewelry.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Yes it's safe walking there. You are in the middle of downtown Lima. Probably read this http://www.limaeasy.com/lima-info/safety-security-situation-lima-peru; not to scare you, but to give you a good overview how the situation is in Lima and what you look out for.

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Thankyou so much you appear very knowledgeable lots of comments in the forum make one very wary about wandering off the main street Jiron de La Union.

Sue

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Thankyou as well it is good to have 2 people confidently reply with the same answer.

Sue

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Yes that area is fine. Even a few blocks east of Jiron de la Union. Just don't go across the river.

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

Thanks as well.

Sue

8. Re: Are these safe streets to walk down in Lima?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Lima
Recent Conversations