We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

LAN have just rescheduled our flight. Initially we were arriving from Santiago around 8pm so decided to stay near the airport as we have an 8am flight to Cusco. Our international flight will now arrive into Lima at 5pm or 6pm subject to the flight we choose. I am now wondering if we should stay in Miraflores or Barranco as we now arrive earlier. If we take the earlier flight I think we may be ready to leave the hotel to explore around 7pm or 8pm if its the later flight. I allowed 40mins for immigration, baggage & customs and 40mins to drive to Miraflores/Barranco. Should we bother with this or just stay closer to the airport? We will be back in Lima, staying at La Paz aparthotel at the end of our trip but only have 2full days for sightseeing & last minute shopping.

If we stay in Miraflores - what can we hope to see if we don't get out of hotel till 7 or 8pm? Its a Tuesday night in July so the fountains don't operate. So my other questions are:

-if Miraflores - do we stay at Parque Kennedy end or Larcomar? Remember we fly out at 8am so it is only about what we can see the night of our arrival and going to dinner.

-are there any night markets open at that time?

-what time do the Indian markets and others close?

-what time do shops in Larcomar close? I am interested in looking for a nice coffee table book or Peru and also the Amazon and Larcomar has been recommended as a place to go for it.

-can we walk along the path overlooking the sea at this time of night or is it too late and too dangerous?

-if we stayed in Barranco what could we see there at night?

-any area in Barranco to stay in so that we can walk to an attraction and to dinner safely?

-What time would we need to leave Miraflores/Barranco area if flying to Cusco at 8am?

Sorry for so many questions but I need to rebook my flights and maybe the accommodation asap. Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

Really the only thing you could do is to go to a nice restaurant and have dinner.

To catch an 8 am flight you would need to be leaving to the airport at around 5 am.

I suggest you stay at the airport hotel and go visit the Larco Museum and its great restaurant, its open until 10 pm

Melbourne,Aus
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

Honestly it is probably not worth it.Whilst Barranco is safe and nice to walk around at night, you would really only have time for dinner.

Also, do you really want to be rushing your first night in Peru after over 24 hrs in transit? Although expensive stay at the airport hotel and be ready for Cusco the next day.

I think 2 days at the end of your trip in Lima will be enough.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

Its about your travel style with this question. My wife would agree with the posts above to park it at a hotel for the night, but I like to squeeze every minute out of my travel experiences, so would head out to Miraflores by Larcomar, walk through the shops, have a late dinner and drink and chat with a couple of locals. It will be an early wake up call the next day, but when you get to Cuzco you'll need to rest at the hotel for half a day to adjust to the altitude, so you can catch up with your sleep then. Larcomar shops are open until 10pm and restaurants later than that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

Thanks everyone. We were already booked to stay at Vista del Sol near the airport but wanted to check the expert advice as to whether this change in flight times offered enough time to make it worthwhile to stay in Miraflores/Barranco.

The only purpose of staying in Lima this time was in case LAN rescheduled our flights to limit any impact on our visit to the Sacred Valley and it has now justified the decision. I do like to squeeze in all possible opportunities but with our early flight to Cusco we will just stay put near the airport and have an early night. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

5. Re: Arrive Lima 5pm, fly out 8am - stay in Miraflores or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:18