We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima airport warnings

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melrose park pa
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lima airport warnings

I recently returned home to Philadelphia from two weeks in Peru. The airport in Lima is awful. Be forewarned.

The entire system needs to be overhauled.

My companion and I arrived at the airport and STOOD in line for THREE HOURS to check ourselves and our bags in at the AA counter. We had been advised that our plane was going to be late taking off. It was supposed to take off at 10:40 PM and eventually took off at 5AM the next morning. We never found that out officially until we checked in. We heard rumors from the other people in that long line, but nothing concrete was ever relayed to the masses standing and waiting.

It seemed that each person who checked in took 10 minutes to process. Part of the process was the many security questions that were asked, the rebooking, the checking of bags.

There were no airport personnel facilitating the process. There was no one going along the lines telling passengers what was going on.

There was no information on the board except that the plane was delayed. The runway was closed from 2AM to 5AM so no planes departed in that time. I never did understand if that was the normal procedure, or just special that night.

There are no bathrooms in the area where you stand in line. You have to exit past security to get to one. To get back to the line you have to go around the outside of the building and in through security unless the guard kindly lets you back in through the exit.

Good thing I had a friend with me so we could take turns sitting down, getting a drink and using the facilities.

When you go to the upper level you find stores and fast food. You can hang out there or go through security to get to the gate area where we were told there were more stores and restaurants.

We went through security to the gate area. They looked at our passports and screened us and our bags and we had to get rid of excess liquids.

More stores and more food in that secured area. We went to buy water and last minute gifts of hot sauce. When we went to pay, the cashier informed us you could not take water or liquids onto the plane.

Why? Because in its wisdom the Lima airport system has you go thru another secure check in just before you board the plane and you are limited to the 3oz/plastic baggie rule.

Great! A 5.5 hour flight and no water to drink!,

Of course if you buy liquor in the duty free shop, they arrange to put that on the plane for you.

The experience was so awful that it made me feel I will never want to return to Peru.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima airport warnings

Strange, i thought Lima airport was reasonable enough. Yea the toilets are a bit far away, but it's like that in many airports.

regarding water, there should be a water spring somewhere. but you need to look for it.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 18:23
Paris, France
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima airport warnings

Oh no.. So sorry to hear. When we were at Lima airport recently, we didn't encounter such mess. Everything went smoothly.

But as for water, we encountered similar situation to you. We used American based company and they had additional security check after passing through the gate. There they confiscated my bottle of water which I purchased after regular security check. Maybe the US based airline enforces the level of security required by the US standard, which is different from that of Peru?

In Cusco Airport, we were told that a bottle of water is not a problem, surprisingly.. I tried to throw away a bottle of water at the security check in Cusco, but was told that you can bring it in!! so nice. So, I assume their security standard is different than that of the US.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima airport warnings

There ARE or rather should be water fountains available. It's a legal airport reqirement. If in doubt ask, don't suffer because of shyness.

It often amazes me that people travel all over Peru, yet forget that they can still ask at the airport. No offence meant, but isn't this simple common sense / confidence stuff?

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:03
Paris, France
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima airport warnings

I wouldn't drink from water fountain at airport. Does anyone know if it is tap or mineral water? I am curious.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:27
jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima airport warnings

It's water thru a filter-safe to drink. That's why it's there. Every airport has one.

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima airport warnings

I just flew out of Lima the other day on a Copa airlines, and did not have any of the same issues. I had no problem bringing water onto the plane (only went through security screening once) As I was checking in for my flight, I did notice an extremely long line at the neighboring airline, so I wonder if it has more to do with the airline rather than the airport itself?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,792 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima airport warnings

There are many airports around the world that do not let you take water onto flights going to the USA. I'm not sure why, but I've encountered that in Istanbul, Seoul, and Tokyo as well as Lima. I do believe it is just an issue with flights to the US.

The airport in Arequipa let us take an open bottle of water through security for a domestic flight in Peru.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima airport warnings

Sounds like your issue is with American Airlines and your flight as much as anything to do with Lima airport.

Many airports do have secondary screening for US bound flights. Once on the airplane water is provided.

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima airport warnings

I honestly have been hearing a lot of negative things about American Airlines in Peru lately! I've been meaning to make a post regarding what happened to my friend and me but that's probably best left to another forum.

***Just a heads up for people flying with American Airlines to South America PLEASE check your flight reservations over and over and over again before your departure. I had booked my flights six months in advanced, and out of nowhere when I checked my reservations they said they were cancelled. When I called the airlines they said that somebody going by my name and reservation number had called and cancelled ALL my flights! There was no explanation for it. It was the worse anxiety attack I've ever had in my life...I've been planning for this trip for a veryyyyy long time. Anyways, after a long process of complaining I managed to get seats on the flights. Remain cautious with American Airlines!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lima airport warnings

American Airlines is going through bankruptcy since 2011. They were cancelling a lot of flights.

Last year I nearly lost my entire trip on LAN, because LAN code-shares with AA. AA cancelled my first leg, no one ever notified me. I didn't discover it until I checked my flight a week before I was to leave. It took LAN a week to rebook my connecting flight, not until 2am for a departure that same morning.

Don't trust any of them!.