We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caral-best way to get there

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
449 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Caral-best way to get there

What's the best way to get there?

Are there any tours that leave the airport areas also take credit cards?

Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Lima Mentor
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caral-best way to get there

I am staying in Lima right now, and just went to Caral this Saturday by bus. I followed the directions pretty much laid out by a helpful poster on tripadvisor, so I'll quote some excerpts here from what ShirleyG60 posted:

"Super interesting site, few visitors, new and clean facilities (toilets!!). Highly recommend visiting before it becomes super popular tourist site like those in Cusco.... We read about price of tours from Lima and thought there were very overpriced. My husband and I did it independently on a day trip from Lima for approx. US$30 each :) It was a long day, and quite an adventure, but excellent. We are Amerian/Peruvian couple in our 50s/60s and comfortable travelling independently. You should be confident Spanish-speaker to try this tho. Here's how we did the trip. From Miraflores we took taxi to Paramonga Tours bus station (in La Victoria, near downtown) 15 soles. This is a pretty rough area, so be careful. Paramonga and Barranca Tours both leave from Lima and stop in Supe. I picked Paramonga because they listed their prices on their website, but the Barranca buses looked nicer. One way Lima-Supe is 15 soles. Buy ticket at bus station. Bus was fine, not fancy. Buses also leave from the nice bus station in Terminal Terrestre Fiori (San Martin de Poros), but that was further distance from Miraflores. Lima-Supe was about 3 to 3.5 hours travel. We left at 6:10 am, but buses leave about every 20-30 minutes. You pass the turnoff to Caral a few km before Supe, bus doesn't stop there. Get off in Supe. Very poor/rough area where the bus stops. But bus driver will direct you to where to get transportation to Caral, only 1 block away. We were going to take the "cabitas" which was 20 soles each round trip in a minivan. But they need minimum 4 people and we were so early there was noone else. So we walked another block north to where the "taxi collectivos" were available. They charge 7 soles per person to go from Supe to the Caral bridge (make sure to go to the bridge. If they drop you in Caral it is only 5 soles but you have to walk another 1km to the bridge). Problem is they will cram as many people as possible into their taxi, so you should expect to be jammed into a car for the 23km ride along pretty rough metal road. I suggest the cabitas if possible! Takes about 30 mins, Supe-Caral. The road is rough but views are great along Supe River, lots of agriculture (no chicken sheds!). At the Caral bridge they are building a new visitor center, not finished yet. Someone is at the bridge to greet you and welcome you to the Archeological site. From there you walk approx 1.5km to the official site. This is a lovely walk along the Caral riverbank, then up a hill where you can see the entire site. Keep following the path and you will see huge parking lot (this is if driving from other direction, turn off south of Supe, bus tours, etc), then the visitor centre and entrance. Excellent toilets with t-paper - but you know to always carry your own :) The visitor centre is very interesting. Entry fee is 11 soles and the guide (mandatory) is 20 soles, to be shared with the group. We waited an hour for our guide (we were there midweek, few visitors and only 2 guides available). One guide took off with a tour group of 8 Italians in tour group, and they didn't want to send out the other guide until he came back. Anyway, we were in no hurry and we used the time to look through the visitor centre and eat our lunch. We took our own food and drink with us. The day we were there there was no food for sale at the site, but it looked like on weekends they sell food. Guide was excellent, but only in Spanish. Tour was about 80 minutes, and we paid 3 soles each for guide (group of 7). After tour, walk back to bridge (20-30 minutes depending on how fast you walk). There may or may not be taxis there.... they drive out from Caral periodically to see if tourists waiting. We started walking back towards Caral and about halfway there we flagged a taxi heading to the bridge and from there went back to Supe. On the way he picked up passengers, so was again crammed full! At Supe we bought ticket at bus station (little store on corner). Return ticket another 15 soles. We left Supe around 4pm - nice to sleep on bus on return, arrived back in Lima around 7:30pm. We finished our day by walking from the downtown bus station to El Parque de la Reserva (20 min walk via Av. Grau) to watch the Magic Fountains (a must-do for Lima) then taxi back to Miraflores.

We like to spend the day on this type of adventure, experiencing local life, and save money to do more travelling, but it's not for everyone. On our Caral tour we were with an American tourist who paid $300 for a customized day tour from Lima; picked up in Miraflores, driven in car to Caral, all meals included plus dinner in Barranco (north of Supe) at end of day, then back to hotel in Lima."

This is almost exactly what I did and it worked out very well for me.

The notes I would make are that both Paramonga and Barranca charge 15 soles for the bus ride, and I found the buses to be of equal quality.

I took the Metropolitano from Miraflores into downtown lima and got off at Estacion Central and then walked to the bus station in La Victoria. I would not recommend walking in La Victoria, as I did not feel safe at all and ended up seeking help from two police officers to walk with me to the bus station. If you want to take the metro, get off at Estacion Central and then catch a taxi to the bus station.

Alternatively, you could go the station in San Martin de Porres at the terminal.

I did exactly as the previous poster said, but the notes I would make again are that I found the taxi collectivos to be of fine quality, so I wouldn't worry so much about getting a cabita.

When coming home, there will be taxis waiting by the bridge probably--where they drop you off, and then they will take you back to Supe. Note, I went on a weekend, so my experience was different. There is also Peruvian food available for purchase at the site. The taxi driver will point to you a curb where you can wait at to catch the bus back to Lima. It's not necessary to go the bus station in Supe. You buy a ticket for each way, so you can feel free to take whatever bus company's bus arrives the curb first for the way home and then pay the fare collector on the bus after you get on. Also, I found the bus ride to be more around 4 and 1/2 hours, not 3 as the poster described.

It's a long day, but if you have time and you are interested in the site, it's worth a visit.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Safe travels,

Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caral-best way to get there

If you can go on a weekend, you can probably find a group tour from Lima. For a Spanish Language tour I found a Groupon and paid only about 80 soles for a full day tour (regular 172).

If you aren't going for a while keep an eye on Groupon.com.pe you might get lucky

3. Re: Caral-best way to get there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:18