We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima coastal region

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
37 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Lima coastal region

We are visiting Machu Picchu, on 12/25 - 30 flying into and out of Lima. A travel company organized the tours and activities. My wife and I would like to rent a car and drive somewhere on the Pacific coast to enjoy a few days of walking, hiking, biking and general exploring on our own. Many places mentioned in these forums sound like they are mainly for surfers (we don't surf), or are too far to drive to. The ideal spot would be a rental rather than a hotel. We are experienced travelers, but this is our first trip to South America and we have limited language skills. Is it OK to rent a car and drive from the Lima airport? Are there some good spots along the coast with stuff to see and do? We're not interested in sitting on the sand for hours at a time. Lunahuaná seems good for activities, but isn't near the ocean. Please advise!

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
921 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima coastal region

Are you an awesome driver, who is very relaxed under pressure even when surrounded by idiots? Do you have experience driving in a third world country where people pay 10 soles to a corrupt police officer to escape a fine, and therefore don't have much motivation to stick to the rules?

When it comes to lunahuana, be careful, the white water rafting is only good when its IN THE RIGHT SEASON. And I don't remember when that is.

Why not visit Huacachina to take the dune buggy and sandboarding tour, visit Paracas for a Ballestas Islands tour, and Lunahuana for some hiking and rafting (if its the right season)

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima coastal region

Renting a car brings up all sorts of problems/dangers. Buses are excellent and extremely frequent. How much time do you have on the coast? That part seems vague. That's your determining factor for advice.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
37 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima coastal region

We are flexible, but thinking about 3 days or so.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
37 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima coastal region

I've driven in Spain and Italy, including Rome and all along the Amalfi Coast, but the drivers were all pretty good, the road surfaces were decent, and street names were well posted. But we didn't have to worry so much theft.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima coastal region

Comparing to Europe is apples to oranges. With three days... Paracas/Pisco and the islands. Maybe Ica. Nazca lines if interested and in your budget...though that is pushing it for three days. I realize the temptation to get as much bang for the buck out of a short trip but often in the end folks regret it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima coastal region

rent a taxi 1/2 day and go to pachacamac just south of Lima

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima coastal region

rent a taxi 1/2 day and go to pachacamac just south of Lima. A nice place to visit.

that highway stretch seems a little like Mad Max Thunderdrone. I would not plan to drive around. Its not Europe

your profile does not allow messages to be sent to you

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima coastal region

Catch and LC Peru flight to Paracas and visit the Ballestas Islands. Its faster and much safer. Y ou can even then connect to a flight over he Nazca lines as well.

9. Re: Lima coastal region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lima
Recent Conversations