We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Political Stability

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Political Stability

I am considering going to Peru with a group June 2014. I was told to check on the political stability of any country before I go. So, is Peru a politically stable place? Stable enough to travel?

I have heard that Peru's political situation has fluctuated in past years.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Political Stability

yes, its stable. why not ask the State dept? that's its job.

Who told you to check??

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
922 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Political Stability

I think you will survive.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Political Stability

Perú is stable enough politically to be amongst the top travel destinations for people from all over the world. That is one thing that I would not worry about whatsoever if I could magically return to Perú today.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Political Stability

The last military government in Peru ended in 1980. Since then we've had a Democracy in place.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,501 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Political Stability

Checking is always smart if you are not familiar with the country you are visiting. However what you want to check, if you are a USA citizen, is the State department website. They have an overview of every country from a travel perspective.

It tends to be overly scary as they lean towards caution. But you'll see no major issues outside petty crime which can happen anywhere. Certainly no issues with political instability.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 22:23
6. Re: Political Stability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:40
Edited: 16 December 2013, 04:40
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Political Stability

While it is not true that Peru had always a democracy during the last 30 years, the situation has improved a lot and it is much safer to travel nowadays. There are still few reports of terrorist activity but none in the places which are popular with tourism.

This is the website that everyone is telling you to look up:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_998.html

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Political Stability

Not true ? !

Even though Fujimori dissolved congress during part of his first government, he was elected and re-elected by popular vote. Then he quit on his third period and was replaced by a transitory congress elected president until new elections happened.

Maybe you interpretation is not the same as mine, but to call me a lier is kind of strong no ?

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Political Stability

Between 1980 and 2000, about 60.000 Persons have been killed our disappeared in a civil war - most by government troops, but also by terrorists. You can see this in the National museum in lima, if you are interested. Half of this happened through Fujimori government.

Only after his retirement to his home country Japan, robbing about 1 billion us$ a kinds of young democracy was re-stablished in Peru. Now it is stronger, a civil society exists.

You see this also in Lima: much more order and safety - at least in the richer zones, but growing also in the poorer quarters.

Still, in the countryside there are problems, e.g. the rights of the local population are violated by mining companies and there is sometimes protest.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Political Stability

Discussing politics in a forum dedicated to travelling is not the proper place, specially if one gives inaccurate information, which I am not willing to argue about with foreign people that know little or nothing of what is going on in Peru.

Fujimori a Japanese retiree stealing over a billion dollars ? Come on !

Edited: 22 December 2013, 22:49