We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Rent-A-Cell in Lima, Peru

Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Rent-A-Cell in Lima, Peru

The Rent A Cell Company aggressively sells to English-speaking people landing at Lima airport. Since I do not speak Spanish and a Rent A Cell rep spoke English, I thought I would avoid a hassle by buying it here. We asked a lot of questions and they were answered. Our important requirement was to call the US but it did NOT work. She said we should dial 1912 00 1 and then the US phone number. We tried at least 20 times and the call never went through. After a dozen calls to their call center, we found one English-speaking customer service rep. She asked us to dial the US number without the area code of the US phone number. Clearly, she did not know anything. We wasted buying two SIM cards and God knows what charges they are going to slap when we return.

My Peru cell phone number given by Rent A Cell is 987561108. If the company is a legitimate one that is not in the business of duping unwary customers, I would expect them to call me and fix my problem. I will post back to you in a few days.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Rent-A-Cell in Lima, Peru

Did you get the little plastic card that explains how to make the calls to various countries (as shown on the left in this photo)?

…blogspot.com/-un0CGKq6K2I/…P1060584.JPG

If not, I might be able to magnify the original photo on my laptop and see if it is legible enough to give you the codes. I didn't have any problems whatsoever calling back to the US (but this was 3 years ago).

Good luck.

Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Rent-A-Cell in Lima, Peru

Before I returned to the US, I stopped by their booth to return their SIM card and check the charges. All the calls that did NOT go through were duly charged to my credit card @1.79 per minute. In addition, they have also charged $1.79 per minute for a collect call I made to my credit card company. This company is a real scam. AVOID this company. I will have my credit card company fight these scammers.

3. Re: Beware of Rent-A-Cell in Lima, Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 07:16