We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Shizuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Does anyone know if the yellow fever vaccinations at the place in Lima airport are safe and reliable?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Hi Gepen,

My daughter traveled to Peru recently and needed this vaccination too. She did NOT do it at the Lima airport. She received all her shots at a clinic in her home city, several weeks before departure. I suggest you do the same.

The Lima airport vaccination service is most likely safe and reliable but it's offered as a 'last resort' for travellers who didn't make health precautions before leaving home. Sometimes people have unpleasant reactions to vaccinations. The yellow fever vaccination has been known to produce mild headaches, body aches and a low-grade fever -- it's better to suffer from these when you're still at home and not when you are already traveling.

According to some medical websites, the vaccination takes 10 days to become effective. That's another reason why you should do it at home.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:05
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Definitely try to take the vaccination before you leave your home country. I had the vaccination done a week ago and I felt pretty unwell afterwards. One week later, my arm is still swollen and itchy.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

How are you feeling now, cavvygirl? Have you recovered?

A useful Top Question for Gepen: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-c4353/Peru:Va…

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

After volunteering in a Peruvian hospital for a week last month; I HIGHLY recommend you don't get any shots there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Feeling better now. I got the vaccination two weeks ago and I still have a red mark on my arm and it is sore to the touch, but otherwise I feel pretty good. In two more weeks, I'm going to get my Hep A and B booster.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Good for you! Vaccinating is the best prevention.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

Hep A and B should be easy, in comparison.

8. Re: yellow fever vaccinatyion at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16