We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

Hola TA Lima,

The more I research this trip and the more I 'walk' in Lima via Google Streetview, the longer I want to spend in Centro Historico. I love architecture, churches and good food. Originally, I thought I could allocate 3-4 hours and then return to Miraflores for lunch. Now I realize that 3-4 hours is NOT enough to visit the buildings and take a leisurely stroll from Iglesia de Santa Rosa to the Basilica de San Francisco. This means I'll have to eat lunch in Centro Historico too. xochitl mentioned in an old thread that there are some good restaurants near the old Post Office but I haven't found much on TA or other Internet websites. The only thing I found was Tanta and El Fayke Piurano. The latter is shown as 'closed' on TA and the address is wrong but the restaurant website is still active...http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g294316-d1059255-Reviews-El_Fayke_Piurano-Lima_Lima_Region.html

http://www.cevicheria-faykepiurano.com/

So here are my questions:

1) Any suggestions for lunch? Prefer NOT to eat fast food like KFC.

2) Is the Tanta in Centro Historico open only at lunchtime?

3) How about La Muralla? tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g294316-d22…

Thanks in advance.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

I really enjoy when going to the Centro Historico eating at L Eau Vive, you can look their reviews, very good food, very nice service, not expensive,

Try to go before 1pm

Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

What a good idea! Thanks FalcoG. I had read about L'Eau Vive and how the sisters sing Ave Maria at dinnertime but I wasn't sure I'd be there at night. It didn't show up on my search of the TA Lima map. Too many mistakes there that I've been urging TA to correct, one by one. Maybe I should visit the Centro Historico AFTER lunch in Miraflores and have dinner at L'Eau Vive....Worth considering. Thanks again.

tripadvisor.ca/…REVIEWS

Edited: 24 June 2014, 01:25
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

There is a cevicheria in the Centro Historico that was recommended by my favorite receptionist, La Buena Muerte.

Be aware that there are two locations, the one near Chinatown is at Paruro 465, between Junin and Ancash, east side of the street.

They are closed Monday which is unfortunate because that is when I tried to go there! Article here (in Spanish, plug it into Google translate).

peru21.pe/2012/08/19/vida21/buena-muerte-bar…

los angeles
Level Contributor
834 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

x2 on La Buena Muerte. Try their Ceviche Mixto (S/.20), Chupe de Camarones (S/.25), Calamar Saltado (S/.20), Filete en salsa Mariscos (S/.30). GREAT FOOD !!!

Prices are in Soles. Exchange --> One dollar = 2.70 Soles as of last week.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

Thanks mlgb and l0vefishing!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

I absolutely love Tantas for their tallaraines verde con bistec and the tamales verde.i think they are hands down some of the best in the city so I always try to make it there one meal and split those with someone so I get both.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

Thanks Ballthree. What's in the tamale verde and what makes it 'verde'?

los angeles
Level Contributor
834 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

>>What's in the tamale verde and what makes it 'verde'?<< Tomatillo aka Mexican tomato.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

Aha! I should have known. Thanks again.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hours in Centro Historico - where to eat lunch?

5.0 from 1 reviews

Print

TAMALITOS VERDES…

Author: Jesus Lopez

Recipe type: Appetizer

Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 1 hour 10 mins

Serves: 10

Ingredients

2 lb. white corn

2 cups cilantro leaves and some sprigs

1 cup spinach

1½ cups vegetable oil

Salt and pepper

Green corn husks

Salsa criolla

Instructions

Process corn, cilantro, and spinach in a food processor or a grain grinder until it looks like cooked oatmeal. You can use the blender but the texture could be too liquid, affecting the resulting tamalitos.

Put processed corn in a bowl, add oil, stirring gently with a wooden spoon or a spatula, until smooth. Add salt and pepper.

Clean husks with a damp kitchen towel, and proceed to make the tamales, using 1½ – 2 tablespoons of corn dough for every one.

Wrap with the husks, tie with kitchen twine, and reserve. When all the dough has been used, put the remaining husks into the bottom of a wide saucepan. Put the tamalitos and 2 – 3 cups boiling water, cover with more husks and bring to a boil, covered. Cook for 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool.

You can eat the tamalitos at once, but they will hold their shape after a few minutes.

Serve 2 tamalitos per person, with salsa criolla.