We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

irvine
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

I saw the recommendation from the CDC to get yellow fever, typhus, and malaria vaccination. I did typhus, did not do malaria and yellow fever based on the feedback of my travel agent.

But now I am seeing here on the boards that some people got vaccinations at the Peru airport. Are those required for entry?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
107 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Yellow fever vaccination is not required by Peruvian authorities. If you are spending time near the Amazon, you may want to consider having the vaccination prior to travel. The yellow fever vaccination is not active until 10 days after the shot, so no use having it upon arrival.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Not required. Also, there's no vaccination for malaria. There are medicines you can take to help prevent it, but no vaccinations. Whether you need to take malaria meds or get a yellow fever vaccination will depend on where in Peru you are going. But the authorities won't require it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Yellow fever and malaria are tropical diseases, typically requiring hot and humid conditions, or standing water for the mosquitos.

Much of Peru is either desert or very high, which reduces the chance of meeting a mosquito.

If you are going to the jungle it would be worth considering protecting yourself.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
718 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Get medical advice from a travel doctor - not a travel agent. I don't know why a travel agent would even offer medical advice. Be sure to tell the travel doctor specifically where in Peru you will be traveling. My husband and I take different malaria meds. A travel doctor can determine what is best for you based on your medical history.

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Usually the yellow fever vaccination is required when you travel to the Amazon(Iquitos,Pucallpa,Tarapoto..etc). It is not requested if you are traveling to Cuzco or in Mayor cities,like Lima or Arequipa.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Required? No. Recommended (in certain areas)? Yes.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

I have done some research as my travel companion is averse to taking the vac!

Countries with risk of yellow fever virus is listed in below link:

…cdc.gov/travel/…1948

Not only have you to be aware that you are at risk, but also check if you are traveling out to a country that requires the Yellow Fever Vac. E.g There is no risk of yellow fever in Sri Lanka. The government of Sri Lanka requires proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. Therefore for me to return home, I should have the certificate.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 02:23
San Blas Islands...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

no, it's not

(even if you go to amazonia, they won't ask you anything..)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

Not compulsory but recommended if going to the jungle area.

Mine is up to date and has been for the past 40 years.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination required by Peru authorities?

I have never been asked for a vaccination certificate in Peru, although I carry it and mine is up to date. But, I have been asked for it on return to Australia. Both from Peru and Brazil. Not sure what would happen if I did not have it, so can't comment on anypotential ramifications .

I have also been asked for it when entering the USA from Brazil several years ago.