We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

newcastle UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Hi All, First time visitor to Peru. Can anyone suggest a safe hostel in Lima ? I have read it isn't safe to walk around in the centre - safer to stay in Miraflores or another suburb ?

Would really appreciate your ideas on which area to stay in and your ideas for safe hostels which are chillled and good to meet other travellers and close to some nightlife ? Thanks very much!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Stay in Miraflores, Barranco or San Isidro.

Enjoy hostel is good and located in Miraflores closevto Larco avenue and Larcomar center.

Mentioned in this post
Barranco
Barranco
5,727 Reviews
Lima, Peru
San Isidro
San Isidro
966 Reviews
Lima, Peru
newcastle UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Thanks for your reply.

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Hi -- I just came from Peru and the first two days stayed by myself before meeting friends. I stayed at Explorer's House and although basic, for the price $28 US a night couldn't go wrong. It was located in Miraflores section and an easy walk to the parks along the ocean as well as to Larcomar shopping center. There is a supermarket within walking distance. I found the hostel on Booking.com and it was fine. I had no problem as mid-age woman walking around. The parks are beautiful. The staff at the hostel was what made the place great (in addition to price and location), they arranged for pick-up at the airport. Communicated with me when I was in route and delayed. I also used Haku Tours for 2 all day tours and they were excellent. The Shanty Town tour is a must -- really puts things into perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Explorer's House
Explorer's House
50 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Just back from lima. We had an apartment in Miraflores, area felt very safe along the sea front. Also had 2 nights at D'Osma B&B in barranco. I'd really recommend this place, although it's noisy due to thin walls, it's really central for barranco which is the most lively and interesting area to hang out, easy access to beach, local restaurants, park etc. family run, very helpful and responsive. Interestingly both barranco and Miraflores have list of private security and are really clean. I was there with my kids and mum and we felt totally safe, walking streets till midnight. Looking at hostels on web, any that are near the seafront and parks in barranco would be fine.

newcastle UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Its hard to know how cautious to be. Would appreciate any other suggestions and information !

Mel

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

I stayed at Pariwana Hostel Lima (in Miraflores) last year as a solo traveler and would certainly recommend it. Also I walked in the city center late at night on several occasions and never felt unsafe... stay on the main streets that are most crowded and well lit and you won't have any problems.

Mentioned in this post
Pariwana Hostel Lima
Pariwana Hostel Lima
838 Reviews
Lima, Peru
7. Re: safe hostel in Lima - solo travelller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16