We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Rico
11 posts
Save Topic
From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Hi Everybody,

I am going to Lima on September and I would like to do from 1-3 days of experience in the Huaraz City. I don't know if I should do it the last days of the week that I'll be in Lima before departing to Cusco or wait to finish South Region of Peru and then finish in Huaraz before heading home.

I'm planning to get to Huaraz with Cruz del Sur, but from there, I'm lost.

I'm on a budget, but I would like to see the Natural sites of the Andean Region, snow, trek for while and pretty much enjoy the area.

Is there transportation around there?

Is the area safe?

Can I join groups while staying at a hostel?

Is it expensive to do a tour in Huaraz? (Like Machu Picchu)

The focus here is to see the basic beautiful sites and don't spend much.

Thanks everyone! :)

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Hi

I am no expert on this but I am heading up to Huaraz on 9th September and have done quite a bit of research. I am also going with Cruz del Sur and staying at a hostel which is pretty cheap. If you look on trip advisor at specialty lodgings there are loads. Most of the hostels will also put you in touch with companies for day trips. However, there are quite a few trips you can do yourself just by using local transport. The wikitravel site for Huaraz is quite good and the whole town is designed to help visitors see the locality so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Puerto Rico
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Thank you so much! After this post I did more research and planned on just getting there and join a group from a hostel because that is the most efficient way to do it and save money. (Based on my research).

Thanks again! I'll be there in September 23-September 30, when you finish, please post again with your overall experience and do's and don'ts of the area.

I would gladly appreciated.

Safe travel! :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Hi unboricuaen,

Which hostel did you book and did you book a day trip to Laguna 69?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

Huaraz itself is not an interesting town, although it has good views by good weather.

It only makes sense to go to Huaraz if you intend to take excursions further in the mountains. Of course, organized tours are more expensive than travelling on your own, but this last option requires time.

But Northen Peru does not charge at all the exorbitant entrance fees around Cusco and MP.

5. Re: From Lima to Huaraz with no trekking experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2016, 07:15