We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with 1 day in Miraflores

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help with 1 day in Miraflores

Hello!

We are heading to Peru next week and i have focused all of our planning on our time in Cusco... on our way back we have 1/2 a day in Lima (arrive 12pm, depart 2am same day/night). We would like to head to Miraflores but i am having some problems figuring out the details; Thanks for any help!

1. with limited time we want to stay in the center/best part of Miraflores-- can someone share a more specific location we should focus our hotel search?

2. What is a must see in the area for someone with limited time? We like markets, shops, people watching, ocean

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

Close to LarcoMar would be your best choice as per No. 2

CT
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

We just stayed at the J W Marriott in Mirsflores and had them book us a 1/2 day city tour. The oceanfront mall in front of the hotel is great for walking , shopping amd eating. Be aware that taxi fares are not regulated so you have to negotiate with the driver. I highly recommend having the hotel send a car for you. You will love Cusco!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

I'll just warn you that Larcomar is a mall. They have a few expensive stores with prices similar to Lima Airport.

I prefer Barranco which has a lot of small galleries such as Dedalo, for shopping.

For hotels in Barranco Second Home Peru or perhaps 3 B if you are on a budget, I actually prefer the location of 3 B since since it is on a well lit street. But Second Home Peru has ocean views from the property and a few rooms.

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

I would suggest spending the day walking around Parque Kennedy in Miraflores. There are lots of cafes and restaurants from which to choose; the Inca Market is a few blocks east of the church; the park has free WiFi, delicious picarones (kind of like thin donuts smothered with syrup), and lots of people to watch. There is usually always something going on, like an art show, crafts market, zumba and salsa classes, etc.

And for the ocean view, you can take a cab (or walk) for about 6 blocks to Larcomar. It is true that Larcomar is an upscale shopping center mainly targeting tourists, but it also has good restaurants with amazing views. I personally like the restaurants Mangos and Tanta. There is also a nightclub, a movie theater, and a bowling alley. But if you just want to relax and enjoy the view, you can do this on the malecon in one of the parks adjacent to Larcomar.

If you want to do a city tour, you can catch one at Parque Kennedy in front of the church. When I did that tour last year, they offered a one-hour tour and a three-hour tour. I opted of the three-hour tour and the bus took us to the city center, included a tour of the Cathedral, then around San Isidro and Miraflores. The tour was in English also.

Barranco is about a 5 to 7 minute taxi ride from Larcomar. It is a fun place also, but it is mainly known for Puente de Suspiros (Bridge of Sighs) over looking the bay, and the nightlife (which doesn't really start until about 10 or 11pm). I love Puente de Suspiros. It is so romantic to watch the sunset on a summer evening. My favorite spot is Javier's for anticuchos and the view. On the other side of the bridge is a famous anticuchos restaurant, but it is usually packed and I personally think the view at Javier's is better. There is also a little tavern just above the gazebo at the mirador that has the most spectacular view and a delicious pisco sour. I cannot remember its name for the life of me, but it is just past Javier's on the way to the mirador at the edge of the cliff. If you go to Barranco, I would go here.

I hope this is helpful! Safe Travels!

Kathleen M.

Latin America For Less/Peru For Less

United States
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

I will suggest you to stay in Miraflores near Larcomar. If you want an economic hotel then you can book in Casa Suyay or if you want something better then it could be Casa Andina. In Miraflores you have everything that you need from restaurants (fast foods, gourmet, vegetarian food, etc), stores, and entertainment (nightclubs, movie theaters, bowling,) and there´s always something to see in Parque Kennedy.

San Blas Islands...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

i would go to Parc Kennedy, which is a great place, and walk on the Malecon, which awesome (trees, lots of space, quiet...) . Larcomar is only a mall and you won't feel "Peru" at all, once inside...

Barranco, used to be a nice place (with lots of artists), but now, it's only a very touristic (ie: business) place, and.... not very clean by the way...

Now i want to share my best ("secret") place in Lima, not very known by tourists : el parque de Olivar ....

It's only 10-15 minutes away with taxi, there are hundreds olivars in ths parc, of 300 years old !... it's so quiet, so romantic, so peaceful..... go there if you can ...

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

My itinerary is similar to yours and I have booked the Barranco Food Tour on www.viator.com. I'm also going to check out Astrid Y Gaston for lunch (can you tell I love food?!).

8. Re: help with 1 day in Miraflores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2015, 05:15