We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear in the Amazon

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear in the Amazon

We are taking a trip into the Amazon jungle in 3 weeks (April 24th). What can I expect for temperatures and rain at that time of year. Most of all, what footwear should be worn on the trails.

I'm staying at the Hacienda Lodge..for 3 days...doing Sandoval and the canopy walk along with trails day and night. How are the bugs at that time of year?

Thank you for any help on this.

MB

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear in the Amazon

In 3 weeks April ?

Anyway, it always rains in the rain forest and its always hot.

Foot wear ? Maybe sneakers are the best.

Fl.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear in the Amazon

I was in the Amazon for a week 2 years go in April. I was going to wear sneakers and my wife strongly suggested I buy hiking boots.

I bought a pair of Coleman's from K mart for $17 on sale. I never stopped thanking her ,they were worth every cent and more.

The river was at a 30 year high . Mud was everywhere. Every night I would wash them under the hose for the next day.

The weather is hot hot, keep plenty of water with you.i got a yellow fever shot for safety. Everything was flooded out, many times we would remove our shoes and socks to walk to certain places.

I hope this helps,it was an experience I will never forget! Good luck! If you decide on the boots get waterproof!

sandycreek
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear in the Amazon

I took thongs for showers and for when we came back from hike but warning re mosquito bites had a few only on ankles when i wore thongs at night. Rest of the time we wore runners/walking boots and most reputable companies will give you gumboots for the muddy walks

Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear in the Amazon

Thank you for the information.

Do you know if the Inkatera Hacienda Concepcion provides boots for muddy hikes? Will it be rainy typically?

Are there a lot of mosquitos around September 24th?

And yes I made a mistake. I originally said I was leaving in 3 weeks April 24th. I meant September 24th.

Thank you again for replying to my questions.

MB

5. Re: Footwear in the Amazon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16