We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

Does anyone know this tour group? With so many to choose from, how to decide? They look good on the internet. Has anyone used them?

Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Lima Mentor
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours
Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

My daughter and I used them last May for the 4 day trail. I would definitely recommend them. Everything was well organized, our porters were happy, the food was amazing! We ended up using them for our trip to Manu also and were very happy with them. They have an office right on the Plaza de Armas in Cusco so you can stop in and see what else they have to offer.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,643 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

SAS has many good reviews on this forum. I would not hesitate to use them.

Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

We just booked our tour with them for May. My husband and his friends used SAS two years ago and raved about them.

Los Angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

How were you able to contact them? I emailed them and haven't heard back? Did you find them very responsive?

NE England
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

I e-mailed them some time ago and they sent me information about The Lares Trek and The Inca Trail very promptly. However, having written back expressing an interest in the former they've gone silent.....

Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

SAS Tours has been the cream of the crop for the last few years for various tours. Couple of my friends highly recommended them and most people know of its reputation. However, it seems that those days are long gone. First of all, the tour guides are absolutely great. Can't say enough. However, management tries to rip off most people. For example: We paid for the 2 day tour of Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu and were to be back in Cusco on the second day at 7:30 pm (leave on 3:20 train) and we made plans accordingly with friends. When we got to Machu Picchu, the train ticket they gave us was for 9:20 pm to arrive in Cusco around 1am. We realized that we paid for the 3:20 train (71USD) and they put us on the 9:20 train which is 29USD. Therefore, pocketing the $42 per person. We made the SAS manager there to pay the extra and got on an earlier train into Cusco after 3 hours of waiting in the train station with bunch of other people in the same situation (all SAS) and we had to fight the SAS manager to pay for the ticket (Although b/c it was the 5 pm train they still pocketed $20USD per person). When we went to complain at the SAS office, the office was full of people (~10) with much worse horror stories (i.e., doing the 4 day Inca trail but not getting to see Machu Picchu b/c SAS had put them on the 10:20 train back on the 4th day b/c its also very cheap. We felt really bad for these people and decided to leave b/c their complaint was much more serious than ours! Again, the tour guides are AMAZING, even Inca trail people were saying the same thing. But management tries to nickel and dime you to the MAX! So word of advice, if you decide to book, make sure you know the full itinerary before hand and check it at every step and don't accept; we'll give you the tickets later.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

I am also very disappinted with them as we were forced to tip the guide and porters who took us back to Cusco (we could not complete the trek due to my wife´s illness). They said we should not call the agency as they wouldn’t pay the staff for returning to Cusco and wanted to keep the fact hidden until the trek was officially completed on day 4.

We ended up contacting the agency as we still wanted to go to Machu Picchu but they rude and wanted us to pay another entrance fee even though we still had our tickets that were valid for 2 more days. We went to the tourist bureau and found out they had a long record of poor services for tourists.

I wouldn’t recommend SAS to anyone.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

I used them for a trek to MP and thought they were not happy about us being only 3 in the group, they tried several times to take us on a different trek and date we didn't want, then they finally sent us on the trek (still not sure if it was the right trek we chose) with someone who was training to be a guide and didn't speak any english. very upsetting experince.

9. Re: SAS Tours for 4 day Inca Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 02:16