We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Ollantaytambo

NY
8 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Ollantaytambo

I was wondering how long it takes to get from Cusco (airport) to Ollantaytambo. I am flying into Cusco (scheduled arrival 7:30am) and would like to take a bus or taxi to Ollantaytambo and catch a train from there to Machu Picchu. I would like to know what time I could reasonably expect to get to Ollantaytambo in order to determine which train I should try sceduling.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

In a taxi from the airport it took at about 1 1/2 hours. The bus takes more than 2 hours.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

I would say it's about an hour and 20 min drive from Cusco to Ollantaytambo. I would suggest a taxi since it is more direct. My suggestion would be to stay in either Urubamba (an hour ride from Cusco) or Ollantaytambo (20 min drive from Urubamba) for at least one day to get adjusted to the altitude. Then you can leave on the first train the next morning out of Ollantaytambo and be the first train to arrive in Augas Calientes.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

If you don't mind saying, what was the cost of the taxi ride from Cusco to Ollantaytambo? Did you book the taxi in advance, or find one at the airport?

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

It should not cost you more than $35

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

Tom,

Just wondering where you are planning to stay? We're trying to decide on Lodging in the Sacred Valley also.

I think after you choose a hotel, they will make arrangements for you to get to them. I notice some provide free and some charge. (Sol and Luna is $25 pp by the way)

Good luck and keep posting - so I can learn more. We're not going util November.

New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

Is it possible to arrange the taxi to go through Pisac or Chinchero with a layover to spend some time visiting the market? About how much should we expect to pay?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

Another question regarding getting FROM Ollantaytambo back TO Cuzco: if we have an 11:20 am flight out of Cuzco (for Lima), what time should we arrive at the Cuzco airport? What time should we leave Ollantaytambo? Is going through the airport (for a domestic flight) such an ordeal as it is here in the US?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

You need to be 2 hrs before departure for national flights and 3 for International.

From Ollantaytambo to the Cusco airport by taxi will take you at least 1 1/2 hrs, depending on the Cusco traffic..

When going to the SV from Cusco, yes, you can stop at either Chinchero or Pisac, depending on which road are you coming.

9. Re: Getting to Ollantaytambo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 10:17