We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential itinerary

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Potential itinerary

Hello!

I have been browsing this forum for some time now as I have been looking forward to making it to Peru. We are planning a trip at the end of may, beginning of June, with me and my wife and her parents. I just wanted to see if I could run this potential itinerary by the experts here to see if it is a good way to do things. Thanks!

Day 1: fly from US to Lima (arrive around midnight)

Day 2: AM flight from Lima to cuzco, taxi to ollataytambo, then rest (or pisac since it would be a sunday, but that may be too much) (lodging in ollataytambo for time in sacred valley)

Day 3: explore ollataytambo

Day 4: Pisac/Chinchero

Day 5: Moray/Maras

Day 6: Train to aguas callientes (likely PM train)

Day 7: Macchu Picchu/Huyana Picchu (if tickets still available)

Day 8: AM train to ollataytambo, taxi to cuzco (or would it be better to take the last train on Day 7?); lodging in cuzco

Day 8-9: Cuzco and surroundings

Day 10/11: Cuzco -> Lima -> US

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential itinerary

Any thoughts?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
51 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential itinerary

I think the itinerary is logical and sounds good. If we had more time in the area we would do something similar. Definitely going straight to Sacred Valley then MP the Cusco is the right choice. Hopefully more "expert" will chime in. They will have more of a handle on the amount of time in each place.

On another note ---- if you are in the area at the end of May you might want to schedule to be in Cusco for the following festival (I believe it is a pretty big one)

Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi is Cuzco’s most important religious festivity. It is celebrated with fervor. A total of fourteen Saints and Madonnas, from each of Cuzco’s Parrish churches, participate in this colorful procession. Members of each brotherhood (cofradia) prepare for a full year for the procession,and monies are raised to provide the most sumptuous attire for the saint or Madonna of their devotion. The result is a spectacular parade of bejeweled and bedecked statues, making their way from their “home” Parrish church to the Cathedral on litters carried by devotees. All the saints and Madonnas overnight in the Cathedral for a few days after Corpus and the doors to the temple remain open to all who want to come in and admire this magnificent sight. Thursday, May 30

aracari.com/festivals/festival-calendar.html

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential itinerary

Thanks! Seemed reasonable from all of the reading I have done. But wanted to double check with those who have been there before prior to booking our flights and hotels :)

puerto rico
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential itinerary

Make sure you hire a private guide he will take you at your pace and transport safely everywhere, we hire David Expeditions, very affordable,perfect english and without him we would have not been able to make it. I just wrote to him by email and he can provide you with a personalized schedule. He is flexible and make sure you leave time to adjust to the altitude. You need to go slow at the beginning.

davidexpeditionsperu.com/english/about_us.asp

5. Re: Potential itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:18