We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Level Contributor
121 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Peru Rail and storing luggage question

My wife and I will be staying in Ollantaytambo for two nights and plan on taking a Peru Rail train to Aguas Calientes. We will be staying two nights in Aguas Calientes. According to the Peru Rail website they do not allow luggage over 5kg but offer luggage storage in Ollantaytambo. My question is do they really enforce this and not allow your typical suitcase of average size weighing about 20kg on the train? They mention they do allow larger luggage on the Ollantaytambo -MP route and vice versa but only on trains 501 and 504. Thanks for any advice!

The luggage policy can be seen here. http://www.perurail.com/tickets_baggage.php

Edited: 14 April 2013, 01:37
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Most people store their luggage at the last hotel before taking the train. Take a small tote/daypack with just the essentials you need for those 2 nights in AC & leave the rest behind -- pick up luggage on return from MP. All the hotels in the area are used to doing this & keep it in a secure area, and I've never heard of any charging for the service.

Alternatively, luggage can be checked at the Ollantaytambo train station -- again taking only a small tote for overnight needs.

Whether they will enforce it or not is another question. In the past, not so much. When you go, it could be your unlucky day -- just like when the airlines enforce the weight/size limits for baggage & carry-on.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 01:43
Level Contributor
121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Redhead47 thanks for the advice. I will check to see if my hotel will allow us to store our luggage there while we visit MP. My only concern with this is picking up our luggage on return from MP and hoping to get a taxi back to Cusco.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Your taxi driver would probably be willing to stop by/near the hotel so you can collect your luggage. Maybe a few extra soles?

Level Contributor
121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Hopefully. Is it fairly easy to catch a taxi from the ollantaytambo train station to cusco late in the evening?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

Lots taxis, vans & small buses will be waiting at the train station for passengers, many holding signs re: prices. Not to worry.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
51 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

redhead - do you know how much one should expect to pay to go from the Ollanta train station to Cuzco?

on the flip side - how much should one expect to pay to go from Cusco to the Sacred Valley area hotels? We are thinking of staying at Sol y Luna or Tambo del Inka. Thanks!

7. Re: Peru Rail and storing luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 05:17