We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

Criticism is welcome!

day 1 - Arrive lima late PM

day 2 - Fly to cusco and head to Ollantaytambo; explore town

day 3 - Ollantaytambo - half day trip to Maras/Moray / visit Ollanta ruins

day 4 - Travel to cusco; explore Cusco center

day 5 - Cusco; visit Pisac market /ruins (tuesday)

day 6-8 - MP trek

day 9 - MP then to Urubamba.

day 10 - Back to Lima for late flight.

I'm not sure if I should visit Maras/Moray while I'm in Ollanta as a day trip or on the way back to Cusco. I have to do a trek briefing with my tour guide and they might require me to be back in Cusco early in the AM for it (I've asked the question).

Also, if my flight back home from Lima is at 11pm, what time should I book my Cusco to Lima flight in order to give myself enough time? I heard Starperu flights are sometimes delayed. The plan was to relax and hang around the hotel in Urubamba the next morning for a late checkout. Other alternative is heading back early to Lima and checking out the city before my flight, but not sure if I would have enough time to do that.

1. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 12:05
houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

You nailed it on the head! I was headed to SV because I'm worried about the altitude in Cusco. I had thought it might be strange going back and forth, but wasn't sure if I should risk the quick altitude change or not (I live practically at sea level and do get very minor headaches when I have traveled to Colorado for skiing but have no idea what to expect in SV).

I spoke to the guide and he said that I could drop off luggage in the SV on the way to start the hike, which is very nice in my opinion. But maybe I should rearrange the itinerary some.

houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

By the way that is by far the best map of the area I've seen! thanks for the link!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

I recommend your first itinerary, because I think you need a couple of days at Cusco altitude before the trek. If you stay in Ollantaytambo the entire time before the trek, you might not be well acclimatized for the trek. But spending a couple of nights in Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, then moving to Cusco will ease you into the altitude. Not sure I would return to the Sacred Valley after the trek - instead maybe spend an extra day in either Ollantaytambo or Cusco before the trek. I would visit Maras & Moray as a day trip from Ollantaytambo. If day 3 is a Sunday, you could visit the Pisac market then.

We went from the Cusco Airport (through Chinchero where we came upon a local celebration & parade) to Urubamba. We were "done" for the day, as we had arrived in Lima at about 6 a.m. (long red-eye flight), then flew to Cusco at about 9:30 a.m. Between travel fatigue & the altitude, we just wanted to go to bed on that first day! On the next day, we took a cooking class at El Huacatay (an excellent restaurant in Urubamba) & wandered around the town. On the third day in the SV, we spend one of our days in the Sacred Valley with a visit to Ollantaytambo old town & ruins (morning), then lunch in Olly followed by Maras & Moray. We were staying in Urubamba at the Kuychi Rumi. On the day of our return to Cusco (a Sunday), we visited the Pisac market & ruins, then traveled toward Cusco, stopping at Awana Kancha and Sacsayhuaman before checking into our hotel in Cusco. Our trek agency pre-trek meeting was that night at 7 p.m. I think most agencies do their meetings at this time, not in the morning.

It is often recommended to return to Lima the day before your international flight. In case there are flight delays leaving Cusco, this will build some cushion into your plans. And there is lots to see in Lima if you decide to do that. However, a morning flight to Lima would also give you cushion for a late night flight home (and you could do some touring). LAN has many more flights each day than other airlines, so flight delays might not be a problem.

BTW, the Inca Trail sells out well in advance, so be sure to book early. I booked the Inca Trail first, then worked the itinerary around that - airline flights were last to be booked, when everything else was in place.

houstonls
Level Contributor
123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

thank you for the info. I plan on booking the hike soon (planning to go in September). The idea of spending the last night in Urubamba was to stay at one of the nicer resorts to relax after the 4 day hike. I don't believe I'd have time to go back to Lima after visiting MP, so only other option after hike would be to stay in Cusco.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
764 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

Good itinerary. But I would see Maras/Moray on the way from Cusco to Ollan, and then Pisac on your way back to Cusco. Both Maras/Moray and Pisac are about an hour from Cusco. By seeing these sights on your way, you can avoid the extra time driving and cost of hiring another driver for a different day.

7. Re: Tentative 10 day Itinerary - comments appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:18