We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking the inca trail injured?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
hiking the inca trail injured?

Hi guys.

I have just been diagnosed with bursitis and tendonitis in my left hip; two weeks from our planned dream trip to hike the inca trail.

I am struggling to accept that I might have to catch the train up whilst my family do the hike.

I am very fit but was wanting feedback on how fast you are required to hike and if I would be allowed to take slow and stop regularly to reduce my inflammation?

Also if I did choose to give the hike a go would I be able to turn around, get evacuated?

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate constructive feedback.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

"if I would be allowed to take slow and stop regularly to reduce my inflammation?"

You definitely can take short breaks here and there during the hike. But these typically are just water breaks, with a short 2 to 5 minute long rest.

I hiked with a group of 12 hikers. Some of us were faster hikers, and some were slower, that was fine. But our guides kept us on time and on pace for each section of the hike. We all left camps in the mornings right on schedule, and everybody made to lunch camp for lunch together, and everybody made to our night camp for dinner together.

While we hiked at different speeds, we were mostly kept together by meeting up at some points on the trail, then get going together again as a group. Our guides would tell us that it should take us 3 hours or 6 hours to reach a certain spot on the trail. Almost all of us made the allotted time for each section of the trail, even our slower hikers.

"Also if I did choose to give the hike a go would I be able to turn around, get evacuated?"

I think you would be able to still turn around on day 1. At some point on day 2, it is easier to just move forward than going back. Day 1 is relatively easy compared to the rest of the 3 days. Day 2 was challenging. We hiked 11 hours on day 2. The first 6 hours were all climbing up.

Day 3 was mostly downhill. But I will tell you that hiking down was hard on the keens and joints.

If you run into a medical situation, there are no medical help nearby. Everything is done by foot on this trail, there are no ground transportation for evacuations along the trail. This trail is almost made up entirely of uneven rocky stairs. If you do need to be evacuated, I would imagine something like very expensive helicopter ride.

st petersburg/london
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
2. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

Friend and me are doing the same trip in couple of weeks. What is the current weather in this area as there are quite a few reports about floods and mudslides but I cannot find if this area has been effected.

I hope you get to enjoy your trip and hopefully do the hike.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

We were older than most in our group & less fit. We were "tail end Charlie" most of the time. I would agree that Day 2 was especially difficult - we arrived at the campsite a couple of hours behind the faster ones. We weren't pressured to go faster than we could, though - and the assistant tour guide stayed with us the entire time.

Do consult with your doctor about the feasibility of your hiking, and what you might be able to do to heal faster and also prevent worsening of your condition if you do decide to do the trek. If you do decide to hike, I think hiking poles would help you immensely. Bring some or hire from your trek agency (or a shop in Cusco).

Also be sure to allow time to acclimatize to altitude before starting the trek. Altitude sickness has stopped many hikers who thought they were fit enough that it wouldn't affect them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,739 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

You need to be able to walk uphill for hours at a time and downhill for hours at a time. Only you and your doctor can determine if you are capable of doing that.

Don't expect an evacuation. They are not going to fly in with a helicopter unless it was a real emergency. This is typical with any mountain hikes.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

I say, don't do it. Having experienced tendonitis myself, you need to take the time for PT and getting healed. As others have stated, there's really no evacuation possible past a certain point; if you had to turn around, obviously a guide would have to leave and accompany you, leaving the group short-handed.

This is why trip insurance was invented.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

Hiking the IT with an injury and during the rainy season? Sounds crazy to me.

Talk with your doctor or an ortho.

7. Re: hiking the inca trail injured?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 04:17