We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

If you haven't seen the news much of Peru including coastal towns near Lima, MP, & Sacred Valley have seen devastating flooding.

While this may seem like a selfish question at this time given so many locals are without everything right now, but I was wondering how fast they rebuild there? We are planning to visit this coming September. I almost hate to ask this question, but for anyone who knows the infrastructure or has had any experience please let us know. I did find in a search where in 2010 there was so very bad flooding, possibly the same time of year as now. Is flooding on this type of magnitude normal for Peru?

I hope people are safe those that are currently in Peru and live there.

telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldn…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,740 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

Wow, that's quite a picture. This is the rainy season so if there's going to be flooding, this is when it happens. As you saw, in 2010 they had a bad flood and the train was shut down and they had to evacuate tourists. The train to MP runs right along the river. When that happened, things for tourists were not shut down long. I suspect by September it will be fine but hopefully someone that's there now will comment.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

You're lucky. Usually touristy areas get repaired really quickly (for Peru's standars). Other places that have suffered devastation from natural disasters like Pisco took forever to be repaired by the government.

Those pictures are from 2010. It was quite terrible. Looks like the next couple of days it will continue to rain quite a lot in the Central and South Andes. Perhaps it will affect Cusco/MP. Hopefully not.

Edited: 17 March 2017, 22:03
Level Contributor
53 posts
3. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

We've been in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Southern Valley for the last 4 days and haven't seen anything resembling flooding... Am I missing something? We've been very fortunate to have fantastic weather on our trip and only saw about an hour of rain the other day. I imagine in September you'll be fine.

Leeds UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

I'm due to travel out there on Weds, would really appreciate some up to date news on this please. In the meantime I'm just waiting for the travel company I've used to open to see if they can shed more light on this.

Boulder, Colorado
12 posts
5. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

It's fine. The flooding is in the north this year.

Edited: 18 March 2017, 09:30
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

following this thread for updates. My daughter leaves next week for Lima (24 hours) then she flys to cusco then MP. Canadian Gov't updated travel advisories and noted that Cusco and MP were not affected and as of yesterday safe.

Salida, Colorado
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

Following! Thanks for the updates. We are heading to Cusco on 4/7.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
41 posts
8. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machupicchu report NO problems. Everything here is running normally, in fact, the weather has been very typical with regular showers, some clouds and Sun - March is still in the wet season so we expect rain in Cusco at this time of year. Flights to and from Cusco are working normally too.

Leeds UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

Many thanks for your update. Very much appreciated

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
10. Re: Mass Flooding in Peru Input Requested

I agree with the above, We just arrived in Lima from Cusco 2 days ago and for anyone with a trip currently planned to Cusco, I would not worry. If your plans include a trip North or South, you might run into some problems, but the rains so far have been on the coast side of the Andes which is not normal, and what has been the cause of all the flash flooding.

The Cusco/Sacred Valley region has had normal, or slightly drier than normal, weather and flights between Lima and Cusco have been running normal for this time of year (morning flight delays are possible).