We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
198 posts
56 reviews
Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

I've read a ton of posts regarding Sand Flea bites/welts encountered at Machu Picchu. They're all OLDER posts. Are Sand Fleas still a 'thing' at the ruins? Are they Seasonal (e.g., summer DRY season?) Just wondering if we should plan to wear long pants instead of our usual shorts.

We will be there in 1 month - April 23rd, 2017.

Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

Wear long pants.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

As wes032 said - wear long pants and take a good repellant for hands, arms etc. They are always there

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

One more in agreement, I always wear long pants when I go and so far, have never come back with any bites on my legs, and for reference these are not fleas, but sand flies or midges as they are also called.

Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

and try not to sit down. you will get them on your arms

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

We covered up and used DEET. I get bitten easily even when I take precautions and I got hardly any bites at MP. That was in January 2016.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

We did not have any insect bites at Machu Picchu in September. We were wearing long pants and did not sit on the ground.

7. Re: Sand Fleas at MP ? Still a "thing" to be concerned about?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 05:17