We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

1 post
Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

Hi,

I am planning to go to Peru in July for 2 weeks. I want to do a 4-day Lares trek from Cusco to Machu Picchu. Anyone have any thoughts on finding a local tour company once in Cusco, or is it better to book a tour guide online? Pros and cons of both?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

July is Peak season in Cusco. The most popular return train schedules will sell out & this is something to consider. Also Machu Picchu tickets with the option to do Huyana Picchu will sell out months in advance.

Some of the bigger trek operators are: Llama path, Alpaca expeditions, Perutreks, SAS, Apusperu, waykitrek... others.

2. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2018, 12:05
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
141 posts
192 reviews
3. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

You can do it all by yourself, here you can find useefull information angurocanguro.com/2017/03/how-to-travel-to-m…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,780 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

angel, great info. Thanks for sharing.

1 post
5. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

hi there,

I came here with the same question. I'm going to Machu Picchu in early September and I was wondering if it is possible to book directly in Cuzco Lares Trek program (4D/3N). I heard the prices vary a lot when you do it there.

Thanks in advance

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

You will save yourself time & effort if you book it ahead of time. Prices are also all over the place online - depends on the company & what they offer. Quality of equipment & guides may be different, too.

If you book in advance, you know for sure you will get on the trek on the date you want. If you wait until you get to Cusco, you might have to work a bit to find a company with a trek going on your date - with room for you. For most agencies, prices increase dramatically if there isn't a good-sized group going - if you wait, you might have to pay private tour rates.

Yes, you can do the Lares yourself - but that means supplying camping equipment & food, plus knowing where you are going and where campsites might be. In other words, the Lares does not require a guide or permit like the Inca Trail does, but it's not totally straightforward, either. There are at least 4 different Lares treks.

7. Re: Booking in advance vs finding local tour company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 05:17