We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Adventures - Peru

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
G Adventures - Peru

Hi

I am planning on doing the solo trip to Peru for 15 days with G Adventures, wont be doing the inca trail but the cusco trip. Little nervous doing the trip on my own, is there any tips that anyone can give me on what to take, what the weather will be like?

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Peru is an easy country to visit - and since you will be using a tour agency, they will take care of everything for you. A small daypack is nice to have with you - to carry rain jacket, camera, water & snack at least.

You don't need to take anything special. You don't say when you are going, but temperatures are fairly consistent throughout the year. However, always be prepared for rain - even a lightweight poncho will do.

As far as clothing, dress in layers is the best advice. Dressy clothes are not necessary. Temperatures can range from warm - in the sun at noon - to cold - evening & night in the winter (opposite of northern hemisphere winter). If you wear layers, you can add & subtract throughout the day. For outer wear, I like a lightweight fleece combined with a water repellent or Gortex shell.

You don't need hiking boots, but comfortable walking shoes are a must. Even in cities like Cusco, you will be walking on cobblestones.

Take some insect repellent with you - we used "Off" towelettes, which pack well. You might need this at Machu Picchu. Also sunblock and sunglasses.

Buen viaje!

Edited: 11 May 2017, 14:40
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
2. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Hey thank you so much for replying to me! Ive booked to go on the 1st September 2016, i opted not to do the inca trek, but will be taking the train.

I will need to go shopping for layers and other little things!

By the way did you do the amazon jungle? What would i need for that?

Thank you

Kind regards

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Nothing extra for the jungle - less layers. But it's recommended to keep your skin covered as much as possible to prevent mosquito bites. Synthetic fabrics dry better than cotton in the warm humid climate of the jungle. Also be sure to have that insect repellent with you. Your tour agency should give you more information about anything specific you might need.

Some people get yellow fever vaccine and malaria prevention pills before going to the jungle, although it's not required. Talk to your doctor about these.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
4. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Thank you...i plan to get my inoculations upto date before travelling as mosquitos tend to love me!!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
141 posts
192 reviews
5. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Here you have tips for food angurocanguro.com/2017/03/what-to-eat-in-per…

Darwin
6 posts
1 review
6. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Hi, i'm doing the 15 day Peru Panorama in June 2018 with G Adventures. I've had all my vaccinations, and hopefully should be ok. I'm just a little concerned about altitude sickness though, the doc has prescribed Diamox, so I'm hoping this will help. Any tips?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: G Adventures - Peru

If you do take Diamox, follow the instructions and don’t stop taking it until you’re back at low altitude. One guy I was travelling with took diamox all through Cusco and hiking to Machu Picchu, then figured he’d be fine to stop taking it in Puno. He was not fine; he totally crashed. Don’t make the same mistake.

On the other hand, those of us who didn’t take Diamox were perfectly fine as we’d already acclimatized.

Darwin
6 posts
1 review
8. Re: G Adventures - Peru

thanks so much darewe for your reply. It really is luck of the draw isnt it, well fingers crossed it will all be good and I'll be right as rain :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: G Adventures - Peru

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the 8 day G adventures tour "Explore Machu Pichu" which starts in Lima on August 11. I'm not a hiker, but walk a lot. I am planning on going solo (this would be my first time!!) and am nervous that I won't be able to keep up with a group hiking and that everyone will be buddied up already. Does anyone have information about the actual hiking aspect of machu pichu? I'll take the train option, not the inca trail! Does anyone have information about traveling solo with this company?

Thanks!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: G Adventures - Peru

I travelled with G Adventures to Peru last year on their Inca Explorer itinerary. I wasn’t solo, but other people in the group were and everyone got along really well. I think a small group tour is a great way to travel if you’re solo. For most of the tour we all hung out together, except a few nights where we did our own thing for supper.

Altitude can make walking / hiking seem more difficult, so any time you can put into getting in shape before the tour will be worth it. I’m sure there will be a variety of fitness levels in your group though, and taking the train is a great option.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 19:57
Reply to: G Adventures - Peru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted