We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

I wrote up a trip report that describes the 5 day Salkantay Trek my wife and I did in May of 2016. We did a guided trek and then spent a full day exploring Machu Picchu (main site, Huayna Picchu, and the Sun Gate). The report has a lot of pictures, maps, and logistical details, so hopefully it's useful to other people. You can find the report here: https:/…

I'm happy to answer any questions.

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
160 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Great photos! Will read through when I get a chance :)

Level Contributor
160 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

What tour company did you go with? I skimmed through but didn't see it mentioned

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

We went with Terra Quechua, which was one of the cheaper operators. The price fit our budget and we really enjoyed the trek overall. There were a couple of things we didn't love though, which is probably just what you get with an inexpensive operator (scary taxi ride back to Cusco after the trek, loud hostel in Aguas Calientes, etc). I'd recommend them for someone looking for a cheaper guide service though.

Level Contributor
160 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Thanks!

Vermont
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Great rad and photos!

I'm curious as to what camera gear you used.

Big thanks in advance.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Hi Rosalie,

Those photos are mix of shots from an iPhone 5s and from a Pentax K-50 DSLR. We didn't bring a tripod or anything. Just the DSLR with standard 18-55mm lens.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Hi there - just wondering if you booked your tour in advance? and if so how far in advance.

I'll be in Peru in March, but as I'll be travelling around the rest of the country I'm not sure exactly what dates I'll be there. I've read I could book onto a Salkantay trail tour when I arrive in Cusco, however have also been advised to purchase my Huyana Picchu ticket in advance in case they sell out. Was the HP ticket not included with your tour?

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit

Our trip was in May and we started searching for a guide in the middle of January. By January the Inca Trail was already sold out for all the tour companies in our price range. There was plenty of availability for the Salkantay Trek though.

The HP ticket will be presented as an option if you book the tour in advanced. Basically, they offer to purchase the ticket for you, but it is subject to availability. If you really want to see HP, it might be wise to just purchase a ticket in advance on your own and hope you get the date right. Worst case scenario you only lose like $20 if your dates change.

I imagine you can book a tour when you arrive in Cusco, but it's likely that the best and most popular tour companies will be booked up. Just prepare to be flexible if you go this route.

Reply to: Trip report - 5 day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted