We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

Richboro...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

Hello! Can anyone tell me if I would need a winter coat to visit Machu Picchu and Cusco in early September? I have a wind/water resistant jacket with a zip out lining and wondered if it was worth it to bring it? Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

It will still be cold at night time and most probable sunny at day time.

Up to you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

I went September last year. I didn't do the trek so I'm replying in terms of spending time in accommodation vs tents. I found days warm and sunny and evenings cool/cold. I took a wind/water resistant jacket that I didn't use as it didn't rain. I also took a light weight slightly quilted jacket (not down or anything) that I would wear in the evenings and I was fine. I thought if cold I would have worn the wind/water resistant jacket over the other jacket but I didn't need to. If you have room I would take it but you'll probably be ok with just the wind/water resistant jacket if you have a jumper/fleece under it ( I didn't take any of these so my weight slightly quilted jacket was used as a multipurpose item. Hope that makes sense. I had layers on though - tank under a tshirt under the jacket. I didn't use gloves or beanie and they are easily bought there as they are well known for their textile and wool products and you can find at all the markets

Richboro...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

Thank you! That is helpful! I won't be camping there at night so it's more early morning and daytime I'm concerned about regarding needing a coat. My wind/water resistant jacket has a quilted removable shell I could wear too if need be I guess! Layers are always safe - thanks again!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

Layers is the way to go. Your outer weather resistant jacket with a lightweight fleece or sweater would be plenty. If your quilted shell liner works as a stand alone, that would be fine.

5. Re: Coat for Machu Picchu in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2018, 06:17