We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Doing the inka trail in may with my daughter for her college graduation present. We will be with a guide and so they should provide the necessities. But starting to think about what we need, gear (stocking stuffers), etc. For those that have done this, I would love to hear what you which someone had told you that isn't obvious. for example, how do you keep your phone/camera charged (would hate to be out of juice when I get to MP!). Shots or no shots. Is the water ok (or bring pills/etc.). Do you need the altitude sickness meds. How are bathrooms? etc....anything you wish someone had told you....thanks,

23 replies to this topic
sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

We took small power bank to charge our phone and camera. But then forgot to take the leads ;) both camera and phone had just enough charge to last on our 5 day trek.

The water supplied was boiled so safe to drink, I added powdered electrolytes just because I like the taste.

Our guide recommended we take the altitude pills on the trek which we did. We bought the local ones, soreche?? I think they were called.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 09:41
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

The local Soroche pills arent local , or effective against AMS . Its basically aspirin with a dash of caffeine on top. You can buy this under different brand names all over the planet :

https:/…

Diamox/acetazolamide is the proven preventive medication , and AMS risk is highest when you fly in and spend the first night in Cusco.

Bedford Hills, NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Hi, what a great graduation present!! We are going in August. Friends who have gone recommended bringing toilet paper, wipes, and insect repellent.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Good tips. Please keep them coming....

Edited: 16 December 2017, 02:58
Bedford Hills, NY
Level Contributor
101 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Friends also suggested a Camelbak to be sure to stay hydrated, along with electrolyte tablets. This is helpful: wanderlustandlipstick.com/blogs/…

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Follow up question on the wipes/etc....I seen numerous threads about disgusting bathrooms at the campgrounds....do they have garbage cans to dispose of things or do the porters take care of that? do we need biodegradable tp/wipes/etc...?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

We went a few years ago but I did a ton of research and documented our entire trip. We hiked MP and Huayna Picchu and then spent a few days in the Amazon rainforest.

Here's my trip report with our itinerary, packing list, photos, and recs:

…blogspot.com/2014/03/peru-machu-picchu-and-…

Hope it's helpful as you plan your trip!

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Your daughter may want a "She Pee", that and a headlamp were the two best things I brought.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Where can I expect cell coverage in the valley. MP. Etc..... I assume so in Cu

sco and not on trail but what about in the valley or MP. Etc?

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail

Disclaimer: we did not do the Inca Trail, we took the train and the bus. But I’m writing this from Agua Calientes where it’s pouring rain at the moment. We went up to Machu Picchu yesterday afternoon and during the 1/2 hour wait in line for the bus back down, I overheard a woman telling someone else that the guide had offered their group the option of cutting their Inca Trail trip short by a day because of the weather. The woman said that by the the third day it had gotten pretty miserable tenting in the rain so she and her companion decided to take the guide up on his offer. There was a lot of noise in line and I didn’t hear all the details but from what I could gather, it sounded like instead of camping the last night, they were given the option of pushing right through to MP.

We took a guided tour of the Machu Picchu citadel yesterday and one of the things our guide explained is the reasons the houses had such steeply pitched roofs is because it rains a LOT in Machu Picchu 9 months out of the year - only June, July and August are the dry season. So if you are planning on making the trip outside those 3 months, you might want to inquire about weather contingencies with your tour provider. And in case you were wondering, even in the rain the trip to Machu Picchu is worth every moment! What a great graduation gift for your daughter.

Reply to: Things you wish someone had told you about the Inka Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted