We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huayna Picchu

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
5 posts
Save Topic
Huayna Picchu

I'm in fairly good shape and am not worried about climbing a steep mountain but . . . I do suffer from vertigo and get dizzy if I'm on a trail that has an immediate drop-off. Just how bad are the trails to the top? Are they wide enough where I can stick to the inside, or are they narrow where I will have no choice? If they are narrow, is the drop-off like stepping off of a bridge or is it more like a ski slope. I'm hoping I can work through this as I have heard the view is incredible.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huayna Picchu

The trail is not wide enough for 2 people side by side. They are very narrow and many parts have steep drop-offs. There are a few sections with handrails but most of it you just hold onto the mountainside. If you get vertigo at all I would not recommend it. You have to sign in before entering and sign out when you get back so they know everyone made it off at the end of the day. Our guide told us very year some people fall off Huayna Picchu.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Huayna Picchu

Virginia, go to this website - www.climber.org - and click on Trip Reports, then on the alphabet H and then on "Huayna Picchu' - there's a beautifully written report on climbing the peak with every detail you'd like to know (!) complete with spellbinding photographs. I didn't write down the direct link here because of possible copyright restrictions.

After reading that report, we've decided NOT to attempt the climb but will instead wistfully gaze upon the peak from below :-)

It's a great travel read.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huayna Picchu

LL,

You don't necessarily have to gaze at it from below. If you hike up to the Sun Gate (takes about 1 hour, nothing to worry about re. vertigo etc.), you're actually higher than Huayna Picchu and the views are breathtaking, too. Yeah !!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Huayna Picchu

Higher than Huayna Picchu?? I didn't know that ( obviously ;-))! That's splendid ..."yeah" indeed!

Thanks, Mami :-)

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huayna Picchu

Just read the Trip Report. Amazing ! Thanks for sharing this with us, I think it's very useful for anyone wondering if ... or if not. For me, its NO. No regrets !

6. Re: Huayna Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 12:24