We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hepatitis Vaccinations

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Hepatitis Vaccinations

Would like thoughts on whether I need Hep vaccinations before heading to Peru (I will be visiting Olantaytambo/MP/Cusco/Lake Titicaca/Puno/Colca Canyon/Arequipa). I’m not a fan of injections so hoping to get away without. Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Hep a and b are “recommended” not required so you don’t have to get it. Hep a can be caught anywhere. It’s sanitation related.Personally I’d get it. Hepatitis is a lot worse than a needle stick.

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Only a weirdo would be "a fan of injections". Your choice, but I would go for it. fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…peru.aspx

Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Highly recommend Hep vaccines plus Typhoid...

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

welcome,

you need to do your own research on such things.

If you have a local/family doctor consult them and see what they say. some places the government may have a say too.

Readup on the various vaccinations and the +/- of doing or not doing them, then make an informed decision.

good luck.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

If you went to a travel doctor in Australia they would advise you to have at least HepA and typhoid (combined injection so only 1 stab needed) and you should make sure your triple (Tetanus, Diptheria and Whooping Cough is upto date - again 1 injection). Whether you elect to have them is up to you and whether you want to take the risk. Having seen people suffer from all these diseases I think you would be wise to grin and bare.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

We are travelling to Peru and have been advised and are having Twinrex ( Hep A and B combined) , Typhoid, triple booster and oral cholera medication (before we leave). Be advised by your Dr, its safer to have them if you can. Safe travels and enjoy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Eddie5333 - not sure why you were advised to take Oral Cholera Medication as there is no cholera in Peru and it is not advised by CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - see link. Are you going to others countries as well which is why you may have been recommended it? It is not recommended for Peru and seems like an unnecessary expense https:/…peru

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Was prescribed by a registered travel Dr but I do have to see her again before we go and will discuss this with her We are going to be in Peru for a month and will only be in Chile over night on the way home.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

The cholera vaccine ( Dukoral ) was developed in Sweden where I live. Its highly effective against cholera , which is a non- issue for the vast majority of tourists to SA , Asia etc. Its also often marketed as protection against travellers diarrhea - no solid proofs and not approved practice in the US , EU etc. The Swedish company has been fined repeatedly for marketing it against TD.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hepatitis Vaccinations

Thanks everyone - had my vaccinations today and I was very brave!!

Reply to: Hepatitis Vaccinations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted