We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Boots a must??

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Boots a must??

Hello,

I am desparate to get some advice!!!

I'm booked to do the Inca trail (4 days) in early July.

Although this will be my first hike, I'm an active 30 year old female (who still plans to get even fitter for the hike).

My question is...Do I NEED to get hiking boots? I doubt that I will take up hiking as a hobby and so my "investing" in a pair of hiking boots could be a waste of money as I may never use them again after I return.

I currently have these trail runners and wonder if they will suffice - zappos.com/n/…mr

Granted, the trail runners are not great on wet slippery surfaces but I won't be hiking during the rainy season so I should be ok.

Thanks much,

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

The trail runners you mentioned are just fine.

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

Thanks for the advice Xochitl.

I was feeling OK with using the trail runners at first but must admit that I got a little scared after reading that the path was pretty rocky and so boots were highly recommended.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

While I used hiking boots on the trail, there were many people in our group who used trainers ... they all did fine!

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

Thanks for the advice. Still undecided about what to do but do feel better about using the trainers if I decide to go that route.

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
514 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

Hi Moroccomania-

I noticed your postings here and your previous postings in the Morocco forum. We traveled to Morocco last June and will travel to Peru this June/July. Sounds like you are too?

We also recently went to Negril, Jamaica so we are traveling in the same circles!!!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

If you have good strong ankles your trail runners will be fine. If you have ever sprained an ankle I would recommend hikers. I used boots and was glad of the support because it is very rocky. But like a previous poster said, lots of people were in low hikers and did fine. Definitely no sandals though. Many of the rocks are loose and sharp.

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

BCA,

You're closer to the truth than you can imagine!!

I'm actually Jamaican so we would've seen quite alot of the same sights!!

Hope you enjoyed your time in Negril.

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

Foxisle,

Decided to go with boots after all. I sprained my ankle pretty badly playing squash earlier this year and can't afford to aggrvate that injury.

Just want to say thanks to you and everyone else who offered me advice.

Isn't Trip Advisor great???!!

9. Re: Hiking Boots a must??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 10:19