We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Trek

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Trek

I have found a trek, with a company called Kontiki, from Cusco to Machu Picchu that does not involve camping but uses lodges. Has anyone tried this? If so what was your opinion?

I know this is a soft option but if the experience and scenery is good I could be tempted not to camp!

Any information would be appreciated.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Trek

I did my 4-day trek with Peru Treks and it included camping;

To give our opinion, you should supply more info; like how much time you have? Cost of the trip above? link to trip above; Kontiki website has so many options that it's hard to tell which one you're wanting opinion on. Also need to list if you like camping and roughing it.

I would assume that this is a 2 day trek with a stay in AC overnight, as there are no lodges on the Inca Trail. But confirm then people will supply opinion.

Other typical answers will be; book with a local Peruvian company, this company more than likely will be sub-contracting out your trip, you can save money by booking directly and cutting out the middle man.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Trek

The trek is not the classic Inca Trail but a 4 day trek on another route the ends at Machu Picchu. I was hoping that someone might have undertaken this trek and could give some insight to the experience. I believe that Himalayan Kingdoms offer the same trip.

I have researched the classic trail and read the forums and feel well informed. I don't mind camping & roughing it but if there is an option on a less crowded trail I think it is worth consideration. Price is not really the issue.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Trek

What I can see of Kontiki Tours and Travel, on their website, is that they are not a Peruvian based company.

I cannot find the 4 day trek to MP via lodges either. Maybe I am looking at the wrong company.

Anyway, I do not know of any trek to MP from Cusco via lodges.

The only places to find lodging are : Cusco-the Sacred Valley and Aguas Calientes.

Maybe they are offring a stay in Cusco and then by train to AC ?

If you want to do the trek, use one of he recommended companies on this forum. They offer several price ranges and you can take yr pick.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Trek

Xochitl, thanks for your input you seem to have lots of good information.

At the moment we are considering all sorts of ideas for our trip to Peru. The idea of having a comfortable bed each night was the appeal! I have discounted Kontiki based on the way they responded to my email for information, didn't seem very well informed, just quoted a script. Himalyan Kingdoms seem a better company but not Peruvian.(www.himalayankingdoms.co.uk)

The trek stays at 4 lodges, Salcantay,Huayrac Machay,Colpa Pampa & Lucma Bamba and ends in Aguas Calientes. It seems to have been a new itinery in 2007.

At the moment I am leaning towards booking accommodation independently but need to build my confidence as this will be first time to South America.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Trek

Neetwa, don't be afraid to book it all yourself.

We just got back last month from a wonderful trip to Peru. Based on the wonderful information I found on this forum (plus a little help from other forums) and reading some guidebooks, I booked our entire 16-day trip myself, by e-mail. I decided what hotels I liked the sound of, chose an Inca Trail tour operator, booked train & plane tickets, arranged with our hotels for pickup/ delivery from airports, train stations, etc. We stayed a few days at Kuychi Rumi in Urubamba, where Claudia arranged a driver & guide for us to do tours in the Sacred Valley.

Also, we did the Classic Inca Trail with LlamaPath. We are not regular campers, and would not usually choose to go camping, but it was OK for this segment. I am glad we did it that way.

I recommend that however you do your trip, with an agency or by yourself, that you look at recommendations/complaints mentioned in this forum & others. You really can't tell much about a company from a website or guidebook. Best of luck --Buen Viaje!

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Trek

There's a great article in this month's National Geographic Adventurer Magazine about the MP "Lodge to Lodge" trek. It actually looks pretty cool... especially for those of us with bad backs.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Trek

Jerry and neetwa - I found that trek on the internet also, it does look very interesting. However the price I saw was $2500 per person! The Inca Trail trek, with camping, is about $350. Also the lodge trek ends in Aguas Calientes, so you don't get to trek on the actual Royal Inca Trail into MP. If money is no object it looks like a great trek.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging Trek

I've been doing a bit more reseach about the lodge to lodge trip and it would seem that the company behind it is Peruvian, the only offices being in Lima & Cusco, and you can book direct. The company is Mountain Lodges of Peru. Their web site does not give details of cost and I suspect travel companies make block bookings on certain dates. It does look possible to book independently though.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging Trek

Did you ever decide which tour to book? I, too, have been enticed by the idea of staying in lodges versus camping. Any new information on this subject? Wilderness Travel seems to offer a "Machu Picchu Lodge to Lodge" tour that avoids camping all together. Has anyone done this tour? Thanks for your help.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging Trek

I went to visit their first lodge close to Salcantay and it looks wonderful.Have also met the owner of the company that offers then tour.

This is actually a great adventure and a new way to arrive to MP via a backroad. You will not be on the Inca Trail at all.

The highest pass is at 4880 meters above sea level, so you better be in good shape.