We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Peru/MP in June/July and I have a tentative itinerary. What do you think?

Day 1: Arrive AM in Lima, fly to Cusco. Check into hotel at Urubamba

Day 2: Sacred Valley

Day 3: AM train to MP, stay overnight at Inkaterra

Day 4: MP, 3.30pm train to Cusco

Day 5: Cusco

Day 6: Fly to Puno (would have loved to take the train but this is unlikely to be a Mon/Wed/Fri, the only days when the train runs)

Stay overnight on the boat

Day 7: Lake Titicaca

Day 8: Fly Lake T - Lima, late night flight to JFK

It turns out I still have 2 days and I'm not sure where to spend those.

1. Do we stay an extra day in 2 or the following 3 places: Sacred Valley or Cusco or Lake Titicaca. Which combination is best?

2. Alternatively, we could go somewhere else for 2 days.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

I would add an extra day to Sacred valley for sure.. lots of places to visit, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Maras, Moray...plus you will still probably not want to rush around as you will be adjusting to altitude.

When you leave MP take the train to Ollantayatmbo and have your hotel in SV arrange pick up and go by cab to Cusco will save time and much easier than train all the way.

Day 6 not sure what you mean by overnight onboat? are you planning on overnight on one of the islands?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

Yes, I meant stay on one of the islands. Haven't fully researched this part as yet but I believe staying on one of the islands is highly recommended. Is there any one island that's a cut above the rest?

Adding a day to SV means I still have another day, should I rush to the canyon (the one that's supposed to be better than Grand Canyon) or head to Lima and spend the day there?

Many thanks!!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

With the amount of time you have I would limit to Sacred valley, Cusco, lake T and possibly Lima..to get to the Colca you would have to fly Juliaca to Arequipa then it is a 3.5 hour drive to the Colca.. we actually spent 3 nights there and loved it but we had 16 days.. and didn't do Lima at all. how many days do you actually have?.. if you can arrange it I would take the train to lake t as it is a great trip. first class orient express..as well you need to check when you can get to the island for your overnight.. a good agency seems to be Allways Travel we used them for our Lake T portion but didn't do an overnight on an island. There are many reviews of this experience search this forum.

your itnerary would go somehting like this

Day 1 arrive Lima in am fly to Cusco transfer to Urubamba..afternoon to rest and possibly go to Chinchero

Day 2 Ollantaytambo, Wilhoe

Day 3 Pisac, Maras, Moray

Day 4 train from Ollantaytambo to MP day at MP o/n AC

Day 5 Mp take afternoon train to Ollantaytambo transfer by cab to Cusco

Day 6 Cusco

Day 7 train to Puno or fly Cusco to Juliaca transfer to Puno o/n Puno

Day 8 Lake T o/n island

Day 9 fly Juliaca Lima o/n Lima

Day 10 home

just some thoughts

don;t forget that it will take about 2-3 hours to get to the island for your overnight plus same to return to Puno also you need to fly out of Juliaca which is one hour from Puno ..

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

We have a very similar itinerary to this one planned for June - but we have two unplanned days at the end. I am wondering if the bus ride to Arequipa from Puno, and then a day and a half in Arequipa, is worth doing. We won't have time for the Canyon, it would just be to explore Arequipa. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Otherwise, we could add time to Puno or Cusco, or spend our last day and night in Lima.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

we loved Arequipa ...it is a beautiful city and a very different experience from the other places listed but I would first be sure to have at least 2 days for SV, 2 days for MP, 2 days for Lake T, 2 for Cusco.. 2 days in each are minimums imo and do not include arrival or departure days.. plus allow time for travel and time to just acclimatize.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

That's great, thank you!

7. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2008, 00:20
8. Re: Peru/MP Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 09:22