We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

We will be visiting the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu in November. Is Sunday typically the least crowded day to visit MP because many visit the Pisac market that day?

What other days are likely to be less crowded?

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

November is not in the peak high season.

Normally many tourists go to the Sacred Valley on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Really this does not mean you will have less people visiting MP.

Your best bet is to stay a night in Aguas Calientes and go early in the morning to the ruins t avoid the crowds arriving on the trains.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

I had read somewhere that fewer tourist visit MP on Sunday due to many going that day to Pisac. is that not the case?

I have already planned on staying in AC for two nights, one before we visit MP and one after so we have the entire day at AC. I imagine that I will want to sit and gaze in wonder at this amazing place!

Thanks so much!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

I'd also reccommend staying at Machu Pichu until late afternoon.

We arrived via the Inca trail (pushing forward so that we arrived at about 4pm on day 3 rather than the morning of day 4). We have photos of Machu Pichu with no tourists at all.

Conversely, the next morning we caught the very first bus up prior to the trains arriving, and it was packed full of people. Obviously more tourists arrived as the trainloads arrived but we still found the morning very busy.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

Deb, as I mentioned we do plan on being there in the afternoon, hence the reason we are staying two nights in A.C. We really like the idea of having fewer people at the site! :-) I am curious as to what time of the year you were there?

Thanks!

5. Re: Machu Picchu - Least Crowded Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 23:20