We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very rough itinerary - please critique

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
89 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
very rough itinerary - please critique

My friends and I have outlined a tentative plan for our short trip to Peru and I'd love to hear from all of you in the Peru forum about the feasibility of this itinerary:

Starting July 8: Arrive early morning in Lima (from New York) and stay the day/night.

July 9: very early morning flight to Cusco. Go directly (by bus or by taxi) to Ollanta. Spend the day touring the city/ruins (hopefully we'll find a place to store our bags during the day) and leave on the latest train to Aguas Calientes that evening.

Arrive in Aguas Calientes in the late evening (hostel/hotel still under consideration)

July 10 - Machu Picchu!!! (can't wait)

Thermal springs in the afternoon/walk around the town

Dinner at...?

July 11 - leave in the morning for Cusco (train to Ollanta, taxi/bus to Cusco). Spend the day touring Cusco and spend the night (hostel/hotel still under consideration)

July 12 - fly to Lima at noon; spend the afternoon either in town or in the airport (depends on how energetic we're feeling). Midnight flight to Santiago, where we'll catch a connection to our next stop, Buenos Aires.

Any suggestions/critques are completely welcome.

UK
Level Contributor
615 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

Olly is a very small place and a halfday would be enough to climb the fortress and stroll around the bottom to see what else is there. We took a taxi from Cusco and went via a farm and Pisac market which is very colourful and from memory this is Sunday Tuesday and thursday but check I might be wrong. We booked a taxi from the hotel which charged us well over the odds and I would think $30 should cover it. We stayed at a lovely place in AC called Rupi Wasi and its a stroll away from the main square where you catch the bus to MP.A good restaurant to eat at is India Feliz which is very popular so go early to avoid waiting to long for a table.We then took a taxi back to Cusco and managed to find a driver from Cusco dropping passengers so it cost us $14 return and we stayed at Rumpi Punku in Cusco which was amazing value and clean and friendly staff.You don't seem to have put in much time to acclimatise and read the threads on altitude sickness as some people suffer and its normal to spend a few days adjusting to the height in the Sacred Valley.

Have a lovely holiday.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
89 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

Thanks for your advice -- I was curious to hear about what Ollanta is like, so I appreciate you weighing in on that leg of the trip. I haven't been able to secure a reservation in AC, but I will try Rupi Wasi as you're not the first to give it a positive review.

3. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2011, 02:53
Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

You itinerary looks good.The most important thing for you would be to get a good guide on the day you visit MP.You will need to arrange for this well in advance.

I did the 4 Inca trail,so I could not comment on a reliable company with guides that speak good English.

Heinrich

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

Rather than spending the day/night in Lima I would fly directly to Cusco and spend that night there instead. It makes for a long day but the earliest flight out of Lima going to Cusco is usually around 6:00 am so if like most your flight arrives between midnight and say 2:00 am it's really not long before you'll need to get in the long line to board the early flight to Cusco.

In Aguas Calientes our favorite dinner place was Indio Feliz. The owner was extremely friendly and the food was great. Ask for a table upstairs. By far the best pizza was at Pachamama where they cooked it in site of your table in a earthen wood fired oven.

Have a great trip,

Chris

UK
Level Contributor
615 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

We had my birthday celebration at India Feliz and thought it was also great . You should go early as it tends to get full very quickly and we only managed to get food by sharing with a couple from Sweden.

lYNDA

Toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

As others have said here, do not stay in Cusco immediately after arrival as that is a recipe for trouble if you experience altitude sickness. After arriving in Cusco on day 2 go directly to the Sacred Valley for at least one night to acclimatize and take along a Diamox prescription with you. Stay either in Urubamba (where we stayed) or at Ollytaytambo. Assuming you can pre-reserve a train ticket, you can then get an early morning train from Ollytaytambo up to M.P. arriving there in the morning. Especially with just one day to spend at M.P., you do not want to risk getting sick! And when you get to Lima at the end of the trip, I would recommend a city tour together with one museum if time permits (we enjoyed the Gold Museum immensely, though it is a fair distance to travel by taxi from the airport, but there are others that are closer).

Torlaw1

UK
Level Contributor
615 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

As the previous post have mentioned about precautionary medication for altitude sickness my GP knew very little about Diamox before we left and when we arrived in Cusco we were taken on a whirlwind sightseeing trip. By the end of the day I was so ill and my husband left me in bed and went for a meal and met a couple who recommended Soroje pills available at any of the local stores. Within 15 mins I was back on my feet and able to sightsee.

I would also suggest that you buy the more expensive ticket at the sites which gives you free entry into about 8 sites. When we stayed in cusco we hired a local taxi driver who took from one to the other and managed to cram in about 5 sites in the morning. I found that you can bargain on the taxi we stupidly arranged with the hotel for the driver to collect us at Cusco and drive us to Olly and agreed $30 but when he offerred us a different route we thought at the same rate ended up paying $80.

When we returned from MP to Olly the taxi cost $10.

Have a good trip.

Lynda

9. Re: very rough itinerary - please critique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 04:19