We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on the Vistadome

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage on the Vistadome

I have seen postings in this forum that indicate that there is very limited space for luggage on the Vistadome. My sister will be traveling with a carry-on size suitcase that's about 24" x 15". Will that be OK? Or does she have to consider something smaller? I assume that space is not an issue on the Hiram Bingham.

Need your feedback as soon as possible. We're leaving in 5 days.

Many thanks.

Cusco, Peru
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

Devos make the trip with a small backpack, with only useful things for that day, all do the same thing, and the rest of the backpack can leave at the hotel.

good luck,

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

There is room on the Vistadome for a carry-on size suitcase. There is a spot on each car where they stash luggage & cover it with a big net. We saw a lot of people enter the train with suitcases & a porter stacked them there.

I think the main issue is that there is not a separate luggage car, nor is there room for a lot of big luggage.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

When we took the Vistadome from Ollaytaytambo in July, the train ran with just ONE train car and there was no space in that car for luggage. The only space that was not taken up by seats was a small area in the back that was filled with the drink cart (like the ones on an airplane). Every seat on the train was filled and we saw no luggage. We left our suitcases at our hotel in Olly for 2 days and just took a backpack with the essential things we would need for 2 days at Machu Picchu. Check the train's website for info about baggage.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

Luggage is not an issue on the Hiram Bingham, just bring whatever you want.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

Four of us took the Vistadome late July and each took a wheeled suitcase, the size your sister will be taking. On the outbound, from Ollanta to AC, my sister stopped at the luggage desk outside the train station and asked if ours were OK to take. My sister's suitcase, although technically the same size as our, had the "expando" section puffing out. They weighed hers and she had to pay an additional $13.00, although it wasn't treated any differently than ours.

On the return trip, we didn't stop and ask and it was not problem. Try to board the train when it is first called to assure you can get your luggage in the limited space.

As noted most people leave the buld of their luggage at hotel.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

We checked out luggage in the "cargo train" - $9 for the case - as we were getting off the train at Km104 for the 1 day Inca trail. That's maybe something you can do if they will not allow the suitcase on the Vistadome with you - you get given a luggage ticket and can then pick it up from the station in AC.

However I would think that size you mention will be fine on the Vistadome - there is a luggage rack at the end of each carriage where the larger luggage can be placed.

I'd maybe get to the station early just in case they tell you to check it on the "cargo train". Not sure if this is an actual train or just a carriage on the Vistadome purely for luggage - all I know is that we checked the luggae in and it arrived at the station at AC by some route!.

Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

Response to Millimad: I understand, though, that you can't always count on the Vistadome having a "luggage" car on its run to Aguas Calientes. BTW, did your suitcase arrive at the same time as you did?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

Response to Lust4Travel - we got of the train at Km104 and walked from there to Machu Picchu on the Sacred Path (I think it's called) we got to AC at around 5.30pm (having got off the train at 10.30am at KM104). Not sure when the luggage got to AC - sorry!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

You can travel with this baggage in the VISTA DOME. The car has in the entry a space for luggage.

The problem is not the space, it is the train slowness and the unpleasant dealing of the staff.

But is the only way to Machu Picchu.

Very convenient for Peru Rail!!!!

8/8/08

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage on the Vistadome

To DaisyMiami - I found the staff on the Vistadome train very polite and helpful. The journey was also really interesting and passed very quickly - we had taken books to read but spent all our time looking out of the windows at the various sights we went past.

You are on holiday - you don't want to speed past the sights and miss everything.