We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

Do these 2 trails require a map to find your way or is the path obvious once you are there. I 2 maps of Machu Picchu ane each of them just have an arrow pointing to these 2 areas.

Thanks

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

You dont need a map for Waynu Picchu, there is one entrance and there's stairs that goes to the top. You just have to know that you can't bring any snacks to climb the trail, but you can bring water.

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

No map require for Inti Punku either.

Heinrich

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

If you are at the bottom looking up at Machu PIchu, just look up and to your left and you will see Inti Punku. It's hard to miss and there is only one trail to get there. If you get to Macchu Pichu early in the morning, look for the trekkers coming down from Inti Punku. :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

Thanks everyone. I may try to do both (I have 2 partial days there). I've read so much and just can't imagine what it's really like. I can't wait to go and finally see this for myself.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

As you near the top of Hyanu Picchu the trail splits. Take the right branch on the way up and the other side on the way down to see different sides of the mountain and different views. The stone temple is to the left. Take more water than you think you will need and I would advise against climbing it if it is wet. The steps and rocks are very steep in places with very short and slick pads for your feet to fit.

Have a great climb. The view you will have is unforgettable.

Chris

6. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2008, 17:40
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

If you want to do a great hike do Putocusi. It is across the valley from Machu Picchu. It takes about 1.5 hours up, and about 1 hour down. I was up there for an hour and a half all by myself with great views looking down on Machu Picchu. The hike has some ladders that you climb, that are around 300 feet tall. To start this hike you walk along the train tracks out of Aquas Caliente for about 5 minutes and then you find the trail.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

I second sno_bored: the Putucusi hike is well worth it and provides both solitude and a killer view. It's challenging and humid, so be prepared, nevertheless, I highly recommend it. No map needed. Just follow the railroad tracks to just before KM marker 111...the way up is on your right.

Wayna Picchu was cool, too. Just make sure you carry water and sunscreen. It's about 45 minutes up, no map needed. It's steep and can be frustrating at times when there are older, slow, or unfit people in front of you who won't let you pass. Great hike, though.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

Does Huayna Picchu require admissions to Machu Picchu?

I'm trying to do some planning....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huayana Picchu and Intipunku?

Yes