We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trail conditions

hawaii
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trail conditions

I am reading conflicting reports about the trail so I thought I would go to the experts on Trip Advisor. Are there very steep areas next to cliffs? We are looking at a large family trip and some people are afraid of heights. They would not be able to do one foot wide paths with drop offs.

Thanks for any descriptions.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trail conditions

Some of the trail does have steep dropoffs. Our guides kept reminding us to get to the protected inside of the trail, when getting over to allow porters to pass us, because of the danger of the steep drop. Of course, the whole trail isn't like that, just here & there. A lot of it is stairs, stairs, stairs.

I also recall one section where we walked over a small log bridge. It had handrails, but not very good footing -- and there were drops on both sides & below. This was only 10-12 feet long, but might be a real problem for someone with acrophobia.

When you say "family trip," is this including children? I wouldn't recommend the trail for children younger than 9 or 10, partly because of these sheer drops -- kids tend to run & skip & jump around, which at times could be dangerous -- and also because of the rigorousness of the trek. I also think most kids would get bored with it pretty quickly.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trail conditions

I am also afraid of heights, but had no problems at all except for the bridge that redhead mentioned. I just took a deep breath and did it and before I knew it, I was over the bridge.

There is alot of vegetation so the drop offs are deceiving but if you stay towards the mountain you are fine. The path is wide enough so that you will not feel like you are going to fall.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trail conditions

The last day segment from Winnay Wayna [?sp] on into Machu Picchu: how steep, how narrow, etc?

Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trail conditions

From a fear of heights perspective I wouldn't be worried about any point of the hike. We were too focused on how steep the trail was to hike up. The trail is nice and wide and in great condition.

I agree though with a previous post and would not go with children. We had a 15 year old in our group and he did fine (I don't think he appreciated it though, like most teenagers).

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trail conditions

TarHeelBelle --

The last day's trek is pretty short. Some people evidently do it in 2 hrs or so, but it took us at least 3+ hrs. We started hiking pre-dawn (about 4:30 a.m.), so having a headlamp is a good idea.

You are on a rocky trail through the woods for a good bit of it. There are some ups & downs, but not particularly steep. There were a lot of sections that were pretty flat, nothing very narrow. I think the log bridge was this day, but it all blurs together.

You go up some steep stairs right at the end -- just before the Sun Gate. When you think you can't go any further, there is Machu Picchu spread out below you!

From this point, it will still take you about 1 hour or so to get to the main area of MP (stopping of course for photo ops at that perfect site that's in all the pictures).

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trail conditions

Thanks, redhead47!

7. Re: trail conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 10:17