We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

It is necessary to have a permit in order to book the train to Machu Picchu from Cusco or the Sacred Valley and stay overnight or longer in Aguas Calientes in order to return the ruins at Machu Picchu on foot or otherwise? I understand there is only the super expensive lodge at Machu Picchu so I am unclear if I can return to Machu Picchu the next day if I book a place to sleep in Aguas Calientes....Thanks in advance....

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

You do not need a permit to book a train ticket to Aguas Calientes.

Your ticket to Machu Picchu is only valid for one day.

There are busses that leave every half hour from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu. The first bus is at 05:30 and Machu Picchu opens at 07:00.

I stayed in the Presidente Hostal in Aguas Calientes,the rate was $US66 per person.

Heinrich

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

thank you very much...we are considering the 4 day trek with an extra day at Aguas Calientes so we can return to Machu Picchu on our own the next day.....that's so helpful, thanks

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

I am interested in visiting Machu Picchu at the end of March with my 70 year old father...do you have any advice for me?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

We did the 4 day trek and stayed overnight in AC in order to return to MP the next day. You will have to pay for the next day entrance fee yourself as it is not included in the 4 day trek - at least it wasnt with Llama Path. However, they did get our train tickets to return the next day to AC.

It was so worth going back the next day. After hiking the trail we were exhausted, since you get up very early that last day in order to get to sungate. The next day, after a great shower and a comfy bed we were so ready to explore MP and Rob was in great shape to climb Hauya Picchu.

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

hey thanks, we are also thinking about using Llama Path...yes, I like the idea of being able to return the next day to MC afresh and alone, is it necessary to book the train back to Cusco?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

The train back in included with your Trek so if you stay overnight Llama path will get your tickets for the next day return. The will also help you with lodging etc - but we didnt use the hotel that they recommended but help us get the hotel we did want.

London
Level Contributor
281 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

many thanks, I think that's what we will do....

8. Re: train to Machu Picchu and overnight stay in Aguas Calientes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:20