We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

We are staying at AC the earlier night and plan to head out to MP on the first bus (if we get lucky). We plan to climb the huayna picchu if we are in the first 200, and spend time at the ruins too.

How much time do you think we should keep to safely make our way back to the train? We are trying to fingure out the best time to hop on a train since I am booking it today/tomorrow. Would an 11 AM train back to Ollantaytambo be good?

Thanks

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

You'll need at least a 3 or 4 o'clock train back. There are two 'climbs' for wayna picchu -the first 200 people can go at 7am and the next 200 people go at 10am. You've got to allow at least 2 hours to get up and down wayna pichu never mind the wandering round machu picchu. When the gates open for MP there is a mad rush right across for tickets for wayna picchu so don't hang around!

Take water bottles and a sandwich. The cafe up there is a total rip off!

Goo luck

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

Why would you go all that way to spend only 4 hours at MP? I agree you should plan on the latest train possible.

We did the Inca trail and although we could have taken the train back that day we opted to stay overnight and return to MP the next day. We were so glad we got to spend more time at MP. MP is a magical place and you will be disappointed if is all you are planning is 4 hours.

melbourne
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

I guess this is just a personal opinion but nevertheless, I have never been able to understand why people travel all the way to Macchu Picchu and only spend a few hours there. To me, it's not just about 'seeing' it but feeling it and experiencing what it must have been like when it was inhabited and just marvelling at the whole concept. I am travelling there in Sept and we intend to arrive around 10.30 Day 1 then early Day 2 and leave in the arvo. Whatever you decide, Enjoy.

4. Re: How much time to allocate for MP at the ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 07:43