We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru What currency shoud I take

Cardiff Wales
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Peru What currency shoud I take

I am going to LIma ,Cuzco and Macchu Picchu at the end of July for 2 weeks, what currency should I take and how much

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru What currency shoud I take

The currency in Peru is the Nuevo Sol (S/.).

It exchanges for about S/. 2.82 for 1 US$.

Other accepted currencies are the Pound Sterling and the Euro.

All can be exchanged at banks or money changing offices as well as hotels (lousy exchange)

ATMs are also available at all cities and you can withdraw US$ or S/.

Bring enouh to get you started, exchange about US$ 100 at the airport to pay for taxis and others and then get cash at ATMs as you need.

Only new crispy dollar bills are accepted.

When outside of Lima, carry enough petty cash bills and coins to pay for petty expenses.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru What currency shoud I take

We were in Peru two weeks ago, and the above advice is right on. We took some US dollars to exchange at the airport (right where we were waiting for luggage to come out), and extra for those who accept/prefer US dollars (one hotel, a taxi driver in Lima). Otherwise we got out soles from ATMs, which are quite widespread, never had trouble getting cash when needed.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru What currency shoud I take

Since you are from Cardiff and presumably the pound sterling is your home currency, do not bother to exchange any into US $$. Some places will accept US $$, but do not require them.

Just withdraw Peruvian Soles from ATMs, or exchange some pounds (crisp new-looking bills) at banks or money exchanges. As Xochitl says, ATMs are common nearly everywhere, especially along the tourist routes.

ATMs & money exchange desks are conveniently located in the Lima Airport. Rates might be a bit higher there, but the convenience is great. I withdrew Soles from the ATM while my husband waited at the baggage carousel. Then, we went to the exchange desk ("cambio") to change the large bills from the ATM into smaller amounts. Probably could have just used the cambio in the first place!

For many hotels, tours & restaurants, you can use credit cards.

Machu Picchu tickets are in Peruvian soles, cash only, S/.128. Better to have exact amount, as often they have problems making change (you will find this issue many places).

How much you need really depends on what level of luxury you want in hotels & restaurants, and how many souvenirs or alpaca goods you buy. And factor in your airline & train costs. Taxis are very inexpensive.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru What currency shoud I take

www.coinmill.com for correct exchange rate varies daily

Always ATM Soles with CC for best exchange rate

or exchange only at big banks.

Carry back up USD $20 new not torn just in case CC is stolen

Lots of places take Visa CC use that a lot too...

5. Re: Peru What currency shoud I take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 07:28