We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huayna Picchu

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Huayna Picchu

I have read the forum & read trip-reports on climber.org as well, but I am still unsure whether I should do this hike or not. Some folks suggest that one is almost staring at "certain death" but some say its fine. I am unable to find photos of "steps hanging in air" and such...

I am in mid 30s & in fairly good shape, please advise whether I should pursue this hike...I will be there end of December, so I am sure there will be good amount of rain.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huayna Picchu

Really its only a couple of hours hike.

If you want to see some pictures check this site : http://www.micktravels.com/peru/wayna.html

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huayna Picchu

Main issue is you have any fear of exposure ie unprotected dropoffs. I can't do that kind of hike for more than a few seconds at a time.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
674 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huayna Picchu

I tried to hike Huayna Picchu 3 times.Did it 2 times alone.

The first time was raining and the road was slippery so I quit.

The second time I did it but later lost the film so I came back after 9 years with a digital camera and hiked it again took me less than an hour.I went slow and took beautiful pictures from the top.Is not easy, is not impossible. If is raining could be dangerous and the top will be so misty (not good for pictures).

Good luck!

Edited: 15 December 2010, 20:26
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
674 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huayna Picchu

PS :less than an hour one way, round trip close to 2 hours.

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huayna Picchu

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to do it if it does not rain.

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Huayna Picchu

600 people have done it every day for many years and I've never heard of anyone getting hurt.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huayna Picchu

Definitely climb it! You'd regret it if you didn't. You feel on top of the world when you get to the top and looking down on Machu Picchu is extraordinary. It is really steep, and at times it's a bit of a scramble, but it's so worth it. It took me about 45 minutes, but I was 19 when I did it. It could be a bit dangerous when it's slippy but there are rails and rope most of the way to hold on to if you feel uneasy. It'll all be worth it at the top!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
91 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huayna Picchu

Me my husband ( mid-30's) and my father ( mid 50's) made it to the top in March. It is scary at times, slippery and requires time. If you are in good shape you can make it. Neither of us was in shape at the time and even now.

Give it a try, you can always go back to the Macchu Picchu ruins.

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huayna Picchu

I did the hike, it took me less than an hour to get to the top. At one place due to mud-slide the steps were covered & it was very slippery & slushy. Had to climb about 3 feet with the body exposed outside & below I saw trees after about 30 feet or so...which means it was pretty dangerous. As I was in the first batch was able to go up, heard from other hikers that some folks were turned-back at that point. On the way down at that spot, they were making new steps in the stones.

Yes, it was definitely worth it when I made it to the top, sat there taking in views of MP for about 2 hours or so.

Basel
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huayna Picchu

you have to do the climb! one of my best experiences I ever did..I was cursing the whole way up, but once on the top it just felt awesome and perfect. I didn't find it especially dangerous.

cheers,