We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Which Machu Picchu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

We are traveling from Cusco to Machu Picchu and then continuing to Urubamba after a few days in Machu Picchu. It appears we will not have trouble with out luggage from Cusco to Machu Picchu, but it could be a problem from Machu Picchu to Urubamba. Does any one know the cost and/or rules?

thanks

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Not sure of your question -- is it where the train goes or what to do with your luggage based on PeruRail restrictions?

The train does not go to Urubamba. You can go to Ollantaytambo & take a taxi to Urubamba. There will be lots of taxis waiting at the train station when the train pulls in -- or have your lodging send a driver to pick you up.

For the luggage issue, PeruRail does list luggage restrictions, but I haven't heard that anyone actually got caught by this or had to pay an extra fee. On our train (VistaDome MP to Cusco), there were many people who had rather large suitcases. The luggage was just piled in one section on the car & a big cargo net put over it. If you can figure a way to leave some luggage at your Cusco hotel (even if not staying there both before & after, they will do this for you), & take only what you must have for your few days at Machu Picchu & Urubamba.

Edited: 16 January 2011, 21:12
Los Angeles...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the confusion, there is a train that goes from Machu Picchu to Urubamba. It appears to be a smaller train that Peru Rail refers to as Autowagen. I am trying to determine the luggage restrictions for this segment of our train ride.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Hmmmm thats crazy that they added Urubamba to the line. Those AutoVagons were used when the tracks were damaged and trains had to operate between Piscachucho and Aguas Calientes. I guess its good they found a use for them.

I wouldnt worry about luggage restrictions at all. I saw people dragging multiple bags of all sizes and nothing was ever said.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

thank you for responding!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
743 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

LIke the others, I would wonder if it might be cheaper and easier to just grab a cab to Urubamba from Olly, as it is pretty close. Rather than to have to wait for and change trains. Then they could just take you straight to your hotel.

USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Does the service from Urubamba to machu Picchu only run certain months? I've been searching the perurail website, and even though they advertise the 'new station at urubamba', every time I search I find 'no availability', whether i search next week, 3 months from now or 10 months from now...

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Really? I just booked seats for that train for March 23rd without any problem.

USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Interesting... when I search march 23rd, i do indeed see availability on that route, and on the following Wednesday as well, but then I checked every Wednesday in April and May and it shows no availability... so maybe it is seasonal, or they just don't enter seat inventory very far in advance (even though they do for all the other trains...).

Strange.

Brazil
Level Contributor
280 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

Hello, anyone can help me comparing Vistadome (perurail) to Executive (inkarail)? Thanks

Los Angeles
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru Rail from Machu Picchu to Urubamba

I have just noticed the same thing when trying to book a trip starting in Urumbama (I will be staying at the Tambo Del Inka) to MP for travel next June. DId you ever determine why that was the case? Thanks, Michael