We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
343 reviews
Save Topic
Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

The airlines have several time options, which one should we choose if we want to lower any potential weather related (or other) delays.

Is the first flight (Taca has 6am) the best or should we take the later one?

The same question applies for the return from Cuzco ?

thank you for your kind help

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

Morning is always best. However sometimes the very first LAN flight can be cancelled or delayed because the plane didn't come back the night before. The good news with LAN is that they have so many flights they will in most cases get you on the next one.

With the other airlines it's best to just take the first one, I think. Then you have more chances to get out that day if there is a problem. Allows allow leeway in your schedule for domestic flights in Peru, delays are common. Most important is to fly back to Lima a day before the international flight if at all possible!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

thank you, I am looking at Taca

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

It can be unpredictable. We booked the first flight back to Lima on TACA and it was delayed 3 hours - supposedly due to weather. The two later flights were right on time. I don't think one necessarily needs to fly back to Lima the day prior, especially if your international flight is in the evening. I would take one of the earlier flights in the morning for sure.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

"Necessarily"? Well if ALL the flights that day are cancelled or delayed, or they've bumped everyone off the first flight and there isn't room for you on the second, because you bought the cheapest ticket, AND you have a nonrefundable international ticket....Then you're sc#$%d arent' you?

Based on rarely taking a domestic flight in Peru that wasn't delayed itself or filled with people bumped from other flights, my advice stands.

Of course if your international ticket is full fare and you have the leeway to rebook with less than 24 hours notice, then go right ahead...

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

Well, I guess it depends on your comfort level. I'm about as paranoid as they come when it comes to missing international connections based on a couple of times years ago when it happened to me. Still, I think that taking a flight that is scheduled to get into Lima at - say - 9am - for a connection to an international departure in the evening builds in plenty of wiggle room. That's a 12 hour connection! For maximum peace of mind you could fly LAN and pay their premium since they have so many flights. TACA now has three flights a day and a pretty good on time record. With my delayed flight they were rebooking a few passengers onto LAN who had tight connections. I chose not to fly Peruvian or StarPeru because of their problems with delays. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where ALL flights out of Cusco are cancelled. If that were the case, it seems you would likely be sc#$%d anyway fighting all those other bumped passengers for an empty seat the next day.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

When I visited, all the flights the prior day were cancelled (Lima to Cusco). On my return, the first four flights were cancelled because the PM flights did not get in. I was lucky to be rescheduled on the first available flight because of the class of ticket I had (I was using the S.A. airpass that LAN offers.) Others were not so lucky and were delayed until late in the day, basically losing a full day or more of touring. So yes, extreme delays can happen. On my second trip to Peru, they were in the midst of wholesale rescheduling. This was all on LAN, btw, so don't assume that they are any more reliable than any one else. And airlines are not the only forms of transport that get delayed. Sometimes there are strikes or landslides, and you can't get to the Cusco airport on your flight date.

It does depend on your comfort level. My advice is to fly in the night before and enjoy a day in Lima. There is lots to see. If you fly in the day of departure you either get to play roullette with flight delays or have a long layover at the airport. Neither one seems desirable unless you don't have a whole lot at all. If you do this, I highly recommend insurance for a missed connection.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 03:02
7. Re: Lima Cuzco what's the best time of day to fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:17